Pilot

Linsley

I am lying on my bed, half asleep, trying to figure out what to wear.

I have been like this for at least 30 minutes. Sleeping late in the morning is hard when you live in a madhouse.

Suddenly, Hailey burst into my room. She is holding a pretty skirt.

"I need help, it's an emergency," she insists. I sit on my bed, still half-asleep, and ask what the problem is.

"Do you think this skirt will look good on me?" She asks. I look at her blankly. We need to review the terms of emergency.

"Why are you asking me this, go ask Alex's opinion," I answer.

"Oh, come on, we all know Alex has no taste in clothes. You're the only person in this house who knows how to dress up." She states. I look at her and groan.

"You know I'm only thirteen, right?" I question her, giving her a hint that I didn't care about her clothing problem.

"But I guess, if you're asking me, then I think this skirt would look good on you. Not that mom would let you wear it." I remark.

"Thanks, Lin," she says before starting to look around in my closet.

"No problem, what are you doing exactly?" I question, not understanding what she was doing. Not that I usually understand her.

"I am repaying you for helping me, which means I am helping you find an outfit," She takes something out of my closet and throws it on my bed.

"Here you go, now go change," She orders me. I thank her and go to the bathroom to change my clothes.

A few moments later

I leave the bathroom and go to my bedroom to put away my pajamas.

"Kids breakfast," Mom yells from downstairs. Waiting for us to come down. But I chose to ignore her, like the rest of my siblings.

"KIDS" she yells again.

"KIDS" she yells another time. I decide to finally leave my room and head downstairs.

"Kids, get down here," Dad shouts.

"Why are you yelling at us when we're way upstairs? Just text me," says Haley, who arrived just before me.

"All right that's not gonna happen and, wow, you're not wearing that outfit." Mom rejects.

"Told you," I say, sitting on a barstool.

"What's wrong with it?" Haley asks acting stupid.

"Honey, do you have anything to say to your daughter about her skirt?" Mom asks Dad.

"Sorry, oh yeah, it looks really cute, sweetheart,"

"Linsley?" Mom asks desperately, handing me some scrambled eggs.

"I think it looks really good on her."

Haley smiles at me and Dad "Thanks" she says, taking a seat at the table.

Mom disapproves, "No, it's way too short. People know you're a girl, you don't need to prove it to them." She says, side-eyeing her outfit.

Alex then walks into the kitchen. "Luke got his head stuck in the banister again," Alex states.