Come fly with me

Linsley

The newscaster on the TV:

Riley Morten coming up now. Kelly at second, started the lining with a double. That seems like an hour ago.

Dad and I are on the couch watching a baseball game while Mom is folding the laundry.

Mom's voice cut through the air, gently but firmly addressing Dad. "Honey, I thought you were going to take out the garbage," she said, folding a clean shirt.

"I am," he replies, rising from the couch, his eyes still fixed on the screen.

High fly to the right. Hooking, hooking, foul.

"Phil," Mom repeats, her voice tinged with annoyance.

"Yes, I'm getting it," Dad replies, his body frozen, and his eyes still glued to the TV screen.

I couldn't help but interject. "You sure are," I smirk, my voice laced with playful teasing.

Good guys trail, three to two, last of the ninth, one out.

"Linsley, sweetie, can you take out the garbage then?" Mom asks. I let out an exasperated sigh. "And I'm the kid," I mutter, glancing at Dad.

I rise from the couch, swiftly, I reach for the garbage bag, snatching it just before Dad can make a move.

"I was... I was gonna get that," Dad says, his attention going back to the game. Ignoring his comment, I walk towards the door entrance.

I swing the door open, only to be met with the unexpected sight of Dylan standing there, texting someone.

"Hi, Dylan," I greet, not even a tinge of surprise coloring my tone.

"Hey, Linsley," he responds, his eyes briefly leaving his phone to acknowledge me.

I move forward, ready to put the garbage outside. However, I notice Dylan's presence still at the entrance, I pause, a hint of confusion creeping into my expression.

"You know that Haley is in her room, not outside, right?" I ask, my voice laced with curiosity.

Dylan glances up from his phone, meeting my gaze. "I know. I just texted her, and she said she's coming," he replies.

"Well, okay then," I remark. "I wouldn't want you to get lost in this house," I sarcastically comment.

After putting the garbage bag outside, I reenter the living room, only to find Dad seated comfortably on the couch. To my surprise, Dylan is now sitting on the edge of the sofa.

"Come on, I don't bite," Dad teases, motioning for Dylan to take a seat next to him. He hesitates for a moment, but then cautiously sits beside him.

Suddenly, Dad lets out a playful growl, startling Dylan and causing him to jump back slightly.

"Careful Dad, you might scare away the pigeons," I mockingly remark, sitting on the couch beside him.

"Kidding," Dad quickly adds, a grin spreading across his face. "Okay," he says, giving Dylan's shoulder a friendly slap.

He then starts to explain the game to him. "I'm pretty sure he's gonna try and steal third, it's just a terrible... terrible idea," Dad comments, flicking towards Dylan. "How are you and Haley doing?"

My eyes widen in disbelief. "Well, THAT was smooth," I say amused by the scene. Without saying a word, I get up from the couch and make my way up to my bedroom.

A few hours later

Dad had headed out to see Grandpa, leaving Mom and me in the kitchen. Mom's busy baking cookies, and I'm trying to focus on my homework. Suddenly, Gloria and Manny walk in.