third wheel...sort of

Just as Jackson and I were scanning over our options of what movie we wanted to see. All of the sudden we heard... "Baby!" Oh great! What is she doing here? I thought to myself as the overly perky, possessive, girlfriend of my best friend, Came striding towards us with a huge smile on her face.

"Oh, hey baby. What are you doing here?" Jackson asked, even though the answer was obvious.  I mean,  duh! It's a movie theater. She's obviously here to see a movie.    "Oh. My friends and I were just here seeing  the titanic. What about you guys?  What are you seeing?" Rachel questioned glancing quickly over at me before setting her eyes back on Jackson.

"We were just deciding that actually, what about the new morio movie Dylan?"Jackson turned to ask.  "Sounds good to me." I stated in agreement.  

" Great! I can't wait to see it." Rachel exclaimed all of the sudden.  "Oh, um, sure.  You can join us, no problem!" Jackson stuttered out awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck.

And that's how we ended up in our current situation, Jackson and Rachel sitting together like two love sick puppies enjoying the movie, sharing popcorn, and Even steeling kisses from time to time. And here I am, three seats away. With a medium size bucket of popcorn, not  even paying attention to the movie... Feeling lonelier than I ever have before.

"I think I'm just going to call someone to take me home." I said aloud to no one is particular.

"So, Rachel just showed up while you guys were picking out a movie for you to see together. So you guys can hang out, since you haven't been getting to recently?" Madison questioned as she drove me home from the theater.

After I realized that mine and Jackson's hangout time at the movies got turned into a date for him and Rachel. Instead of just the two of us spending time together, and I was basically a third wheel now, i got the hell out of there and called Madison. And now here we are. In the car, on our way to my house.

"That's pretty much it." I explained as we pulled up in my driveway.

"Goodness! I'm so sorry Dylan!" Madison cooed in sympathy as we walked in the door of my house.

"Mom, I'm home!"  I called out as Madison and I walk through the front door.   "Oh, hey sweetie."   My mom greeted me, as she entered the kitchen from down the hallway. 

"Hi! Mrs. Woods. How have you and Mr. Woods been?" Madison asked sweetly.   " We've been good sweetie, we've just been busy with work lately." My mom explained as she took a pan out from under the cabinet and turned on the stove,  cooking what looked to be chicken breast. She dug through the cabinet once more and pulled another pan, in which she put broccoli, chopped carrots, and potatoes. 

"Do you need our help with anything?"  I asked politely, so as not to just leave her with everything to do on her own.   "Sure sweetie. Could you and Madison set the table please?" She asked, as she stirred the vegetables, so they wouldn't burn.

After dinner was done, we sat everything down on the table and began making our plates.  my father had gotten home an hour ago, so it was the four of us  instead of our usual three. Which was definitely nice.

"So. Madison,  anything new in your life?" My father questioned, taking a bite of his chicken.   "Oh umm, my brothers won their soccer games last weekend." She explained,  enthusiasm clear in her voice.

"That's great! And your mother, how is she doing." My father asked with a smile on his face.  Showing the proud father that he is, even when it comes to Madison and Jackson.

"Mom is great, the twins really keep her on her toes a lot." Madison explained with a slight chuckle.

"I bet. I remember when you were that age Dylan, kept me and your father on our toes constantly." My mother chimed in with a slight smile on her face at the memory. "What about boys? I know school just started but there has to be  at least one boy you like." My mother questioned curiously, Making Madison blush furiously.

"Actually... There is! This one guy in school, he's in my history class. He's really cute and seems sweet,he leaves cute little poems in my locker every day at school his name is Alex, Alex Luis. And we have a date. Tonight, actually." Madison explained, blushing afterwards.    "Oooh!" My mom and I cooed at Madison in unison.  

"He sounds like a great guy if you say he's sweet." My mom explained, smiling happily at my best friend.   "He really is great. Which reminds me, it's about time for me to start getting ready.  so I really have to go."  Madison stated,  getting up from her chair that was across from me.

"love you guys, See you soon. " she  said as she walked out of the house.  Sighing, I got up from my seat at the table and went over to the kitchen sink to rinse out my dishes, before sticking them in it so mother could load the dishwasher later.  "I'm going to go to bed." I informed my parents, before kissing my mom on the cheek and heading upstairs.

"Good night."  I heard both of my parents say at the same time. Once I got into my room, I changed into a t-shirt at pajama pants, not even bothering to take a shower first. Once I was tucked nice and warm under my bed sheets and comforter. I reached over to turn off my bedside lamp, and drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

********

Thank you so much for reading.