Chapter 1: The 210th Annual Band Games

When I woke up, my entire body was shivering. It almost felt as if the world was shrouded with an Arctic storm. After accepting the cold, I sat up in my bed and rubbed my eyes violently, trying to wake myself up as fast as possible. Since today was reaping day, It meant I had to get myself together swiftly. My life depended on it.

My mother was sitting in the cold living room that was covered in darkness. The Rouse District didn't get much electricity. We'd be lucky to occasionally get it for a few hours. Besides that, Mother had her usual emotionless stare. Me and my Sister, Avery, exchanged glances, Avery having a worried face, as usual. I just frowned slightly. I looked back at Mother and we locked eyes, her emotionless stare looking into my soul. I entered my own thoughts, and began to recall my daily drill of tied up emotions and memories of the past.

She had always been like this after my Father died and I constantly have to harp on her about different things. I provide for the family and Avery is really my only friend. Everyone else in the district is more of a familiar face. Except for Ryan and Matt, my two closest friends apart from Avery. We typically go hunting in the woods, providing for our families and trading our finds with traders at the Rouse Market. However, not very many people are lucky like us. The only reason we're able to survive is because of my Father. He taught me how to shoot, and that's how I met my friends. He provided me with everything I need and even though he wasn't around long, he gave me the most strength anyone could've. 

I regained my consciousness after what felt like hours. I looked away from my mom, my mind still overflowing with thoughts. She still looked at me as I went over to the counter and picked up a piece of bread that had been cut from last night. Sitting down at the dining table, which had been stained of berries and blood over the years, I cleared my thoughts. Today is the reaping. I need to be focused. Avery noticed me with the tense look I apparently always seemed to have, according to her, and sat down next to me. "Are you okay, Caitlin?" I looked up at her to see her worried face. She checks in on me a lot since Mother tends to sit in silence and stare at a wall all day. She's more of my mother than anyone and she's younger than me. "I'm okay. I'm just thinking." Avery sighed. "You're always thinking." I scoffed and shoved the bread in my mouth. Still chewing, I got up, pushed in my creaky chair, and walked away.

"Avery!" I shouted. "We have to go! We're going to be late!" Her, shouting from the kitchen while stuffing berries in her satchel yelled back, "I'll be right there!" I groaned and stood up against the doorframe. A few minutes pass by and Avery runs over to the door, the floorboard underneath her creaking and shaking. "Finally." I sigh and walk out the door. "Sorry," she catches her breath. "I needed to get food and my lucky pin." Her pin shined on her coat. It was a gold plated pin that had an eighth note on it. It was our family heirloom and my father gave it to Avery before he died. It's our lucky pin and hopefully, it would work today. We needed it more than ever.

We ran down the gravel streets at full speed, ignoring the glances we got from neighbors. This was our daily drill: Run in the mornings, me and Avery. Today though was different. Our lives were at stake. And if we were late, we'd automatically be pulled into the games, even if our district wasn't picked. With 3 minutes and 15 seconds remaining, we got to the sign in sheet. It looked like we were the last Rouse Band students remaining. The receptionist looked up. "Lucky ducklings. 3 minutes to spare. I thought you were meant to be 15 minutes early?" I signed in with my messy handwriting and looked up at her, moving my hair out of my face. "Yes Ma'am, sorry. We got into a bit of a dilemma." The receptionist looked at me, then Avery. Avery nodded up and down quickly probably made us seem suspicious to her but, she just took a type of 'disappointed deep breath' and nodded. She held up a needle and took my blood. As so she did too Avery and we walked over the rows and rows of students. Lined up hopefully to not have their fate sealed today. Since Rouse has never been picked as the band to battle, it's only a matter of time until it is. It's been about 136 years since the assassination and... We've never been picked. Some of us think they forgot about us. I think not. 

The snow lightly raining in our district gives its arctic freeze a bit more kick to it. But, I try not to think about it too much... Even though I'm shivering and holding my jacket... Everyone looked up at the sound of heels clattering against the stage in front of us. I had almost forgot... We're in the middle of the town. The snow made it a bit hard to see but I could make out the distinguished symmetrical building in front of us, with minimal damage to it from the war. It's famously known as the "Official Rouse Courthouse." Occasional town celebrations and court cases were held there. Still looking up, a woman appears at the podium on the stage. Everyone lets out a little gasp, the cold air freezing our lungs. "Hello all." Her face clears and I too let out a gasp. "I am Nola Jones. I will be your reaping representative today."

Nola Jones: One of the six judges picked to run Panem. I was dumbfounded beyond words. "Why is she here?" I thought to myself. "Is this the year? Are we getting picked?" My eyes, wide, stung from the cold and a tear rolled down my cheek. "It can't be. It won't be us. It's just a coincidence." My thoughts racing and my body slowly going numb from shock and hypothermia, I continued to listen to her speech. 

"This year, is a special year." She smiled, looking down at a script. "The 210th annual band games marks the year for our first every breathing exercise. 210." She adjusts her glasses and continues, "The capitol and I have reached the decision that for this special occasion, the games will revert back to its old tradition of picking 24 tributes. However, they will all be within the selected band... Unlike past years where the entire band is chosen." Everyone looks around and some start to whisper. "But, before we continue, we must see which band was chosen!" She pulls up a video on the old hologram television screens. "If your band is selected, we will go over further rules. If it is not, we will end it here." She smiles. "Good luck!" 

The video plays and it shows the 6 judges standing in a line. "Hello all. You are all here today to see which band has been chosen for the 210th annual band games." Nola Jones isn't the one talking in the video... which is surprising. She is the head president. Instead of President Nora, it's one of her Vice-Presidents, Sousa. This makes me even more nervous. "We have out three finalist bands in paper strips here. I will pick one and whoever is picked will be the band selected." He looks down at the white elegant table, having a light green cloth over it and white candles lit. He almost grabs the farthest to the left one but decides to go with the middle one. He grabs it with a smooth motion and opens it delicately. He lets out a slight gasp and his eyes widen. The other vice-presidents tilt their heads and their smiles fade into curiosity. "For the first time ever..." He pauses for a moment. "The band selected for the 210th annual band games is..." He pauses again, double checking the results. "The Rouse Band."