Sixteen | Happiness

"There'll be happiness after you..."

When Aiden was little, his life was perfect.

Two involved parents, so in love it was embarrassing. A ton of money, heaps of friends, and a house so big it could've passed as a mansion. His parents sent him to a nice school. He got good grades, won his teacher's praise, and even became Student of the Month.

But that's the problem with having a perfect life. All it took was one hit before the castle came crumbling down.

Especially when that hit was to the foundation.

Annette Faith was blonde, smart, and—unfortunately—beautiful. There was something about her that pulled you in immediately. One member of Aiden's family got pulled in too much.

He wasn't sure when it had started, because his dad had always needed to work long hours. Kamekhakht Ghade Acharya—

"Seriously?" Aru asked. "Your mom gave up worldwide fame for someone named Kamekhaht Ghade Acharya? Do you know what that means in Hindi?"

"Yeah, in hindsight, his name should've probably been a red flag." Aiden replied.

was a renowned lawyer, and almost always had cases that kept him from home. It wasn't strange that he was leaving more and more. He said he had tougher cases. He needed to spend more time at home.

He knew something was wrong when the fighting started. Little things at first, sharp whispers that died their throats when he walked in. Then it started getting bigger. Screaming matches so loud that Aiden could still hear them even if his door was closed and he blasted his music at the max volume.

A part of Aiden knew they were getting divorced before they told him. He spent a lot of nights with Rudy and his brothers during that time. His father didn't even try to fight for custody of him. He moved back to Staten Island with Annette, now with the new last name. Acharya.

The worst part was that Annette was amazing. She was always so nice to Aiden, and even Malini. She didn't know Aiden's dad had been married. Even as a middle schooler, he caught the guilt in her eyes. And now she was stuck with Aiden's dad.

Though they seemed happy. Happier than his parents had ever been, at least. 

Maybe they weren't as in love as he thought.

"But there was happiness because of you too..."