Chapter : 24 Past is more familiar than the present - (Author's point of view)

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm, golden glow over the cityscape as Sara found herself standing outside Neil's doorstep. Her heart fluttered with a mixture of anticipation and nervousness, unsure of what awaited her on the other side of the door. It had been weeks since they last spoke, and a void had formed in her heart—a void that only Neil could fill.

Taking a deep breath, Sara raised her hand and gently knocked on the door. Her heart raced as she heard footsteps approaching from within. The door swung open, revealing Neil, his eyes widening with surprise and a hint of uncertainty.

"Sara," Neil spoke softly, his voice filled with a mix of emotions. "What are you doing here?"

Sara took a moment to gather her thoughts, her eyes searching Neil's face for any signs of familiarity. "I... I missed you," she confessed, her voice trembling slightly. "I've been thinking about us, about what we had, and I realized that I still love you."

Neil's expression softened, a flicker of hope glimmering in his eyes. "Sara, it's been difficult for me too," he admitted, his voice filled with a tinge of sadness. "I've missed you every day since we parted ways."

Tears welled up in Sara's eyes as the weight of their separation washed over her. She stepped closer, her voice filled with vulnerability. "I made a mistake, Neil. I thought I could move on, try something new, but the truth is, my heart still longs for you. Being with Dan made me realize that no matter how hard I try, my love for you remains."

Neil's gaze softened, his eyes searching hers with a mixture of caution and longing. "Sara, I've missed you too," he confessed, his voice filled with emotion. "But it hasn't been easy for me either. I needed time to process everything, to heal. I don't want to rush into something without fully understanding where we stand."

Sara nodded, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I understand, Neil. I don't expect everything to go back to how it was. But I just needed you to know that my feelings for you haven't faded. They've only grown stronger."

Neil reached out and gently wiped away her tears, his touch sending shivers down her spine. "Sara, I can't deny that a part of me still loves you too," he admitted, his voice filled with a mixture of longing and uncertainty. "But I can't just forget everything that that happened between us"

Sara nodded, her heart aching with a renewed sense of hope. "I'm willing to work through those challenges, Neil. I believe our love is worth fighting for."

In the bliss, Neil, looking into Sara's eyes, he forgot there was a heart waiting for him inside the house. He forgot who Rhea was in his life.

In that moment, the weight of their past, the possibilities of their future and the lies of the present hung in the air. They had a long journey ahead of them, with no guarantees of how it would unfold.