Chapter Three: Spectators and Suspicions

If I could’ve hidden my face in a folder all day, I would’ve, but I couldn’t so I endured the pitying looks some people in our office gave me as they filed back in from the meeting about an hour later. The marketing department had a lot of desks and cubicles spread throughout the vast room with managerial offices and meeting rooms lining up the corners. There weren’t a lot of places for me to hide.

Although Luke didn’t say anything negative about me when he picked me out of the crowd earlier, it was still pretty embarrassing especially since I currently looked like a forgotten piece of laundry that got stuck in the vent.

Nevertheless, I kept a straight face on. I was used to criticisms and people who thought I couldn’t possibly pull off whatever it was that I was hoping to do. I had been successful at proving them wrong constantly but it didn’t mean I was ultra-confident about it.

Theodora gave me a murderous look as she walked back into the office and only her curt nod and hand gesture toward her desk indicated that she wanted that meeting now.

I fought the urge to flee and dragged myself over. She spent nearly half an hour talking about all the things I needed to improve and warning me of all of the repercussions of my lack of professionalism. I was more concerned about Luke Hedenby firing me that Theodora’s evil rant barely made a dent on me. I got through that meeting with a combination of nods and monosyllabic answers, which was alright with Theodora since she often liked the sound of her own voice.

I had just sat back down at my desk when a hush fell over the room before everyone burst into energetic and sickeningly sweet greetings. 

“Hello, Mr. Hedenby! How nice of you to come see us!”

I secretly groaned at Theodora’s over-perky greeting and forced my head down until my nose was practically plotting coordinates on the top page of a report I was reviewing.

“She sits right over there, Mr. Hedenby.”

Recognizing Jillian’s voice, I stiffed. Jillian was my friend who worked in the IT department and her office was in the other end of the main hall. She only ever came here to talk to me or drag me out for lunch. 

I snuck a peek over the divider that sectioned my cubicle from the others in the row and saw her pointing in my direction, grinning broadly. She waved and glanced back at Luke to see if he followed my direction.

I was just about to pull my head back down like a terrified turtle slinking off inside its shell at the threat of a predator but the man grinned and waved at me before turning back to Jillian to thank her

She is so paying for this later.

“Ms. Moss! Hi!”

I could feel all eyes burn holes in different parts of my body as Luke Hedenby made his way toward me, pausing and greeting those he passed without getting distracted too long.

The moment he arrived at my cubicle though, Theodora appeared like an apparition, blocking me from his path. 

“Mr. Hedenby, I just want to say that you gave such an amazing speech,” she started, moving her arms and hands animatedly I was certain it would’ve made an interesting shadow play if the lights had been out. “It was so empowering and it really engaged the employees. I know it went straight to my heart. I can’t wait to attend the industry update later.”

Luke’s brows rose gently as he focused on Theodora for the first time since she practically yelled at him in greeting when he came in through the door.

“I’m glad to hear it, Miss… um…”

“Theodora Graves, sir, marketing extraordinaire!” she said as she extended a hand which the man shook with a certain lack of enthusiasm. “My team welcomes you!”

I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes because Theodora Graves wasn’t the head of the marketing team but I didn’t want to call more attention to myself than I already have.

“Nice to meet you, Ms. Graves,” Luke said as she started to turn away from her. “I’m just popping by real quick here before I have to be back in my office for a conference call that I’m already late for so if you’ll excuse me…”

Before Theodora could say anything more, Luke stepped around her and stopped in front of me, planting his hands on my desk as he leaned down, smiling that brilliant, crooked smile that seemed to be his signature.

“Ms. Moss, could you come see me quarter to eleven, please?” he said in a low enough voice that people wouldn’t normally hear unless they were absolutely straining to eavesdrop. “I’ll let my secretary know so you can just walk right in in case I’m still at the tail-end of my conference call.”

I opened my mouth, about to give an automatic hell no but how would I explain to people that the top man of the company asked to see me in his office and I told him off?

Couldn’t this be a quick execution? Did I really have to get boxed in and humiliated?

A rush of anger flashed through me and I barely managed to keep my eyes from narrowing at him as I slowly replied in a controlled voice, “I will be there, Mr. Hedenby. Anything I should bring? A certain report? A list of our current projects?”

A cardboard box with all my belongings in it along with my security badge?

His smile deepened and his cerulean eyes crinkled at the corners. “Nope. I just need to talk to you. See you later, okay?”

He straightened, gave me one last grin almost resembling the one he flashed me this morning when he snuck a kiss on my cheek, and gave Theodora and everyone else a polite nod before striding out of the office.

The moment he was gone, the office chatter resumed and I could just make out my name in every other line.

I calmly went back to scanning the report as I made some reference in the email I was typing up but I could feel Theodora’s suspicious gaze on me.

“If the CEO himself is going through all the bother of reprimanding you for your behavior, Maxine, then I guess I’ll have to start looking through some of those applications for your replacement,” was her low, cutting comment before she went back to her desk.

Cold dread filled my gut as I struggled to keep my focus on my email. 

Was he really about to fire me? And if he were, why would he smile at me like that as if it thoroughly amused him? Was he really going to be that cruel?

I glanced at the clock on the bottom corner of my computer screen. 10:12 A.M.

I guess I was going to find out in about half an hour.

I opened the company chat tool and started a conversation window with Jillian.

Maxine Moss: If I get fired today, it’ll be all your fault. You should’ve let me stay under the radar.

Jillian Dane: I couldn’t. He was stopping every other person leaving that meeting asking who you are and where he could find you. I had to lead the poor guy over.

Maxine Moss: Did it ever occur to you that he was looking for me so he could fire me?!?!

Jillian Dane: Er, no. He didn’t look like that was what he had in mind. I’m sure you’re being paranoid.

Maxine Moss: Won’t know till later. Just know that if it happens, my blood is in your hands. Traitor! =P

I sighed briefly and wondered how much worse this day could get.

***

If anyone's got song suggestions for the chapters, let me know. =)