Chapter 1 A World Unraveled

The world had fallen into chaos. The once bustling streets now lay in ruin, their pavements cracked and overgrown with weeds. Buildings stood as hollow shells, their windows shattered and their doors hanging on hinges. The remnants of a once-thriving civilization were now just reminders of a world that existed before.

Amidst the desolation, a lone figure walked, his steps measured and cautious.  Clad in tattered clothes and carrying a worn backpack, Y/n navigated through the debris-strewn landscape with a determined look in his eyes.

The world had changed overnight when a virus swept across the globe, turning the living into the undead. The dead now roamed the earth, hungering for the flesh of the living. No one knew how the virus started or how to stop it. Society had crumbled, leaving only a handful of survivors to navigate this new world.

Y/n's mind had wandered to how fast the world went too shit, just a few weeks ago he was sitting at the dinner table with his  Step-Mother and his Step-Brother, talking about their mundane day. His mind then wandered to his Step-Father that is in a coma from a gunshot wound. 

He didn't let dispair consume all his thoughts, he looked around to distract himself from his depressing thoughts. His footsteps echo down the abandoned streets of Atlanta, his eyes trace over the big sky scrapers. Y/n's stomach suddenly rumbled making him groan in discomfort.

 "I need food.. and shelter for the night, and fast.." He whispered to himself, as if the world had answered his prayers, a lone gas station sits on the corner of the block he's walking down. He quickend his pace and jogged towards the small building, the door hanging by it's hindges sways slightly with the little bit of wind that blows.

As he enters the desolate building, some of the shelves had been knocked over.  Small bags of food litter the floor, causing Y/n's stomach to growl in anticipation. A sudden feeling filled his body but he ignored it as the hunger overpowered it.

Y/n kneeled down taking off his worn backpack, he quickly started shoving as much of the food he could fit. His eyes drawn to a certain bar of candy, it was a Milkyway. A small sad smile formed on his face as a memory flashed in his mind. 

It was of him, his Step-Brother and Step-Father, they all had went out and grabbed some junk food for a movie night they had planned. Milkyway's were his and Step-Fathers favorite, compared to his Step-Brothers taste for Snickers.

A sudden loud bang brings him back to reality, he turns to see a couple of the undead knock over the last remaining shelf that stood, the loud noise echoed through the deadly quiet city. Distant moans echo filling Y/n with Adrenaline, he quickly closed his bag and threw the straps over his shoulders. 

A loud growl makes him look up to see one of the undead bastards infront of him, he quickly rises off the ground and punches it in the neck. It stumbles back unable to keep it's balance, Y/n kicks it in the chest sending it over some of the shelves 

The Walker hits it's head on one of the corners of a shelf spliting it's head in half, the other one starts to stumble towards Y/n, he quickly runs our the door he entered from to see a small hoard of walkers shambling towards him.

"Fuck..." He curses as he turns down another street, the once empty streets start to fill with walkers. 

His heart hammers away in his chest as he keeps sprinting down the sidewalk, growls echo around him as more walkers start shambling after him.  

"I fuckin hate cities." He says running towards a group of nearby trees, Y/n looks over his shoulder to see a small few of the walkers following after him but he keeps running till he sees nothing but trees.

-~-

Y/n's pace has started to slow down, the burning feeling in his chest engulfs his lungs as he gasps for air. Sweat pours down his face as he falls to the ground, his snack filled bag acts as a makeshift bed as he stares up at the light blue sky. 

"I need to make a camp.." He mumbles to himself.

With a groan, he rises to his feet and decides on the woods as it's alot safer than an open road. As he walks into a green foilage, the sudden sound of a branch snapping makes him spin around. As he turns, something whizzes by his face and slams into the tree next to him, his eyes widen as his eyes fall onto a crossbow bolt in a squirrel.

"Holy shit.. that was close." He breathes a sigh of relief as footsteps start approaching him, he turns to see a man with short hair, he wears a green tanktop with his crossbow aimed at Y/n making sure he's not a threat.

"Shit.. you're just a kid." The man says lowering the crossbow, Y/n snorts and smiles at the man.

"Well.. if being 16 makes me one, then my Step-Brother must be an infant." Y/n says, the man stares at him as if studying him.

"Got a name friend?" The man asks while looking around their surroundings.

"Y/n Grimes.. and you are?" The man's gaze falls onto Y/n once again.

"Daryl.. Daryl Dixon.." Y/n nods his head and reaches for the impailed Squirrle that Daryl managed to shoot.

"Pretty damn good shot with that Crossbow.." He says with a smile as he tosses the small animal towards Daryl, he catches it and takes off a rope that was around his shoulder with more small game.

"Yeah well.. had to learn how to fend for myself.. ain't no one else gonna feed me. What's a kid like you doing out here?" He asks as he kneels down tying the squirrle up the others, Y/n falls onto his back, his bag catching his fall.

"Lookin for a place to call home.. thought this would be a good place to camp out for the night." He says looking up at Daryl.

"Either you're lucky.. or you're skilled. Ain't no way a kid like you has lasted this long.." 

Y/n looks up at him with a small smirk, he spins the bolt in his fingers as he rises to his feet.

"Well.. considering I just did something retarded. I think it's God's grace more than anything.." He says with a smile, Daryl looks at him confused.

"Why.. what'd you do?" He asks as he leans on a nearby tree, Y/n lets out a dry chuckle.

"Well.. my squirrle killing friend, I just escaped Atlanta.. thought it would be a gold mine with the world full of those biters. Didn't go as planned.. almost got chomped but I escaped." 

Daryl lets out a small snort of ammusement as pushes off the tree.

"Either you've got the balls of an elephant or you are a little retarded." He says with a small smirk, Y/n lets out a chuckle and slips his bag off.

"Well.. I got some food. Not nutritious, but will definetly hit your sweet tooth." He says opening the flap to his bag, Daryl looks into the bag to see it filled to the brim with Candy bars, bags of chips, and protien bars.

"Got any Twix bars in there?" He asks, Y/n nods his head and rummages around for a bit before pulling out a king sized Twix bar. Darly smirks and grabs it from him.

"You rock little man.. I've been killin for one of these." He says as he quickly opens the package, Y/n laughs as he closes his bag back up before throwing it over his shoulder.

"Glad I could be of service.. it's been awhile since I've spoken to someone.. much less seen some good folk." Daryl nods his head as he bites off a piece of his candy bar.

"All right.. come on, we got a camp. You're one luck son of a bitch.. that I'm the one that found you." He says walking the way he had came, Y/n quickly starts follwing after him.

"You're really gonna let me come with you?" He asks, Daryl looks over his shoulder.

"If you can keep up.." He says walking onwards, Y/n smirks and follows after him.