Chapter 6

"A festival?" The girl questioned, raising a brow at the hazel eyed boy beside her.

"Yeah, it happens every year." He stated, smiling at her ecstatically, "There's games and food and they even have a ferris wheel."

The girl bit her lip as she thought. Spending time with the boys would be nothing short of fun, possibly even helping her overcome the embarrassment that had plagued her since their first meeting.

"I'm not much of a fan of crowds...or heights." She mumbled, sinking down in her chair slightly as doubts overtook her mind, "Plus I always visit the children on the weekends."

He frowned lightly in response, trying to think of a way to convince her. His brows furrowed in deep thought, zoning out ever so slightly.

She cast a careful glance over in his direction as her burning cheeks slowly cooled. Upon noticing his concentrated frown she turned her full attention towards him, the curiosity overpowering her previous embarrassment. She raised a brow in concern, quietly calling out his name as she waved a hand in front of his face.

"That's it!" He exclaimed, an excited smile overtaking his face as his head snapped up, startling her back away from him. He shot her a sheepish smile, briefly apologizing before hastily explaining his idea.

"Bring the kids?" She mumbled, biting down on her lip as she mulled the idea over in her head.

"Wouldn't they enjoy getting out a bit?" He questioned, "We'll all be there to keep an eye on them too."

"I don't think Ms. Dorris would be all for that." She replied, fiddling with her locket slightly as a shudder passed through her at the mention of her previous caretaker.

"Well why not just bring them a treat or a prize or something. I know it's not the same, but you should be allowed to have fun." He stated, a pleading look on his face, "Plus the fair is Friday night, if you leave early Saturday morning you'll still be able to see them."

She bit down on her lip harder, causing his frown to grow ever so slightly until a small sigh escaped from her as she nodded slowly in agreement.

"Yes!" He cheered loudly, immediately being shushed by their teacher as other groups gave the pair an odd look. He sunk down in his seat, rubbing his neck sheepishly as she giggled in response, turning his attention back towards the project at hand.

...

"Sooo, were you able to convince her?" The brown eyed boy drawled out, excitingly plopping down into one of the red cushioned seats beside his best friend.

"Somehow, she's even more stubborn than you," He replied with ease, barely batting an eyelash at the loud noise Jack made in return, "But yes, she agreed to come. Although she did say she didn't want to stay out to late so she could still make it Saturday morning."

The brown haired boy let out a quite grumble in response, wanting to protest further, but knowing it took a lot to get her to agree to come at all. They fell into a brief silence for only a moment before the boy began voicing the thoughts that had been plaguing his mind,

"Do you think she's hiding something?"

"Hiding something?" Crutchie mumbled turning his attention back to him, "What on earth are you on about?"

"I don't know, Crutch." The boy sighed, running a hand through his hair in frustration, "Something just ain't right."

"Jackie, you know I love you, but we've literally known her for like uh week, maybe two." He responded, giving the boy a pointed look, recalling a similar conversation he had with a certain teacher not long ago, "You can't expect her to just spill everything all at once."