Chapter 9

"Friday, Friday, it's finally Friday!" An overly peppy Racetrack excitedly proclaimed as he ran into the club room, his boyfriend following behind with a slight chuckle.

"We know, Race." Davey replied with a slight smile from his spot in the corner where he sat going over one of the freshly printed papers with Jack. The boy was always one of the first to arrive in the mornings, right next to the trio that came with Mrs. Medda.

"So this is a weekly thing, huh?" The girl questioned, raising a brow at the hazel eyed boy beside her as she recalled a similar encounter the week prior. He merely grinned in response, leaning back in his chair slightly as she let out a sigh, "Yeah, ok."

"You get used to it." He stated, chuckling when she let out a small grumble, taking a long swig of the coffee she held in her hands.

"Yes, but you know why this Friday is extra amazing?" Race asked, gaining the duo's attention once more. He was practically bouncing in his seat, a childlike grin stretched over his lips.

"Nobody asked." Albert replied as he walked into the room with Romeo close behind. He, much like the girl, was not exactly a morning person and was definitely not in the mood for Race's antics so early.

"What's got your panties in a twist?" Jack questioned, an amused grin tugging at his lips.

"Oh I was having the most amazing dream." He stated with a dreamy sigh as he propped his sneaker clad feet up on the desk beside him, "Her leg, of lamb."

"Ah, we don't have time for any of your weird dreams right now." Race quickly interrupted before anyone could question the other's odd statement, "Today is Friday, which means tomorrow is Saturday, and Saturday means festival day!"

"Oh yeah you're right." Davey muttered quietly, "I wonder why Les hasn't brought it up."

"We still doing game night at your place, Kelly?" Spot spoke up.

"Huh? Oh yeah, yeah, same time as usual." The boy half-heartedly replied, as he eagerly turned his attention to the (E/C) girl instead, "Hey Star, Crutchie said you were joining us this time around right?"

Her eyes widened slightly at the sudden rush of attention, causing her to shift uncomfortably in her seat as she looked around at their pleading gazes. She could feel the weight on her chest grow, feeling terrible for not realizing how close the event actually was. Not knowing what else to do, she gave a nod in response, her lips pressing together in a tight smile. The boys around her let out a cheer, excitedly beginning to place bets on who would win what.

The hazel eyed boy beside her looked on in concern, noticing her biting down on her lip once more as she stared down at the empty cup resting in her hands. He carefully reached out, opening his mouth to say something before the sound of the bell rudely interrupted him. He immediately drew back, instead gathering up his crutch and bag and brushing the matter off, chalking it up to it just being part of her morning grouchiness.

The bustling hallway did nothing to help soothe the girl's pounding head, her mood only worsening as she broke away from the boys, desperately trying to think of a way out. She let out an angry huff as she forcefully pushed open the door to the theater, immediately making her way past the stage and the seats and straight back to the music room.

A small sense of guilt washed over her as she anxiously paced around the small space, knowing Crutchie would be asking why she had skipped class, but she didn't want him to see her like this, already embarrassed enough Ms. Medda had to step in not even a few days prior.

"Come on (Y/N), think." She mumbled, her mind slowly beginning to feel like nothing but putty. She knew she couldn't go, but a small part of her couldn't help but ache for that slight chance at getting to experience something new for once. However, she also knew she couldn't take the risk of being late Sunday. As much as it pained her to turn her back on the Newsies, her kids came first.