Chapter Two

...

In the serene ambiance of the early morning, Richard found himself engrossed in his routine as he sat poised in front of his computer desk. His restless eyes fixated intently on the vibrant screen before him, his fingers tapping impatiently on the keyboard, an unmistakable reflection of his growing anticipation as he repeatedly checked for any possible leads.

Despite the relentless passing of nearly two months, an exhausting search had yielded not even a whisper of a fleeting glimpse of Jinx, leaving Richard entrenched in a sense of frustration. With unwavering determination, the Titans meticulously revisited countless hotspots, painstakingly scrutinizing each one, methodically cross-referencing every lead, yet the elusiveness of the sorceress persisted, eluding their grasp at every turn. The vanishing act was an unprecedented departure from Jinx's character, particularly in the absence of her trusted comrades.

With an unmistakable air of cunning and ingenuity, Jinx unquestionably stood as the mastermind behind the Hive, leaving Richard to ponder the possibility that perhaps she had reached her threshold of tolerance for their petty exploits and juvenile mischief. A vast number of conjectures swirled within his mind as he contemplated her motives, wondering if she had grown weary of tending to the impulsive whims of her wayward associates, yearning instead to embark on a solitary path. Yet, beneath these musings, a more ominous suspicion began to take hold at the notion that Jinx's disappearance signaled a desire to transcend her current milieu, abandoning the realm of petty thievery to set her sights on a grander, more formidable villainous empire. This trepidation injected a chilling undercurrent of intrigue into Richard's expedition, heightening the stakes and intensifying his determination to unravel the enigma that shrouded Jinx's sudden vanishing.

Richard maneuvered his cursor, selecting the live feed showcasing the fortified prison where Jinx's confidants, Mammoth and Gizmo, were confined. He fixed his gaze upon the monitor, meticulously scrutinizing every minute detail of the penitentiary. The pixels on the screen revealed Mammoth and Gizmo, still imprisoned within their joined cell, their somber presence an unmistakable testament to their lack of freedom. No flicker of suspicion marred the orderly display, and no trace of turmoil suggested a prison break in progress.

A deep sense of frustration permeated Richard's being, causing an exasperated sigh to escape his lips as he wearily ran his hand down his fatigued face. The weariness etched in his expression didn't go unnoticed, prompting the person behind him to inquire about his state of mind.

"What's wrong?" Kori asked as she approached him.

Her presence brought a semblance of comfort as she stood behind him, her hands gently finding solace on his shoulders before delicately tracing a path down his chest as she leaned in closer to him.

"It's just strange that Jinx hasn't tried to break out the Hive. Or show face for that matter." Richard said, his gaze fixed on the monitor.

"Isn't that a good thing?" She asked, questioning whether the lack of such attempts could be seen as a positive development.

Richard shook his head, his conviction unyielding. "It's suspicious." He said, convinced that a more calculated plan was brewing in Jinx's enigmatic mind.

"Well, it's almost time for the team's training session." Kori gently reminded him. "Besides, I think you could use a break."

Aware of his relentless drive, Richard leaned forward, disentangling himself from her tender embrace, his determination unyielding. "I'm going to do some more digging. You're in charge of today's session." He told her.

Kori sighed, her expression reflecting a mixture of admiration for his unwavering perseverance and concern for his well-being. "If you insist." She said, resigned to his unyielding spirit. She complied with his request, making her way toward the door. However, just before leaving, she paused, a touch of apprehension evident in her eyes as she turned back to face him. "Just promise me you will take a break later."