X

"You sure you aren't going to come down?" Camari inquired, looking over at her white haired friend.
    "Positive. As I said, I will only slow them down."
    Camari sighed, "How long have you known?"
    Mac'hla pursed their lips, "Around two weeks."
    "I wish you would have told me, don't you trust me?"
    Mac'hla reached across the table to grab a test tube, but Camari put her hand out.
    "Careful, you shouldn't breathe in those fumes right now, it won't be good for you."
    "That is why."
    "...Because I wouldn't let you hold a test tube?" she asked, eyebrows raised.
    Mac'hla tilted her head, "I do hope you are not serious with that inquiry. I did not tell you because you would treat me differently. Not just you, but everyone."
    "We won't treat you differently Mags." Camari said, sounding almost offended.
    "You would not let me touch a test tube. If you did not know, you would have. I have handled that chemical on multiple occasions while working with you and you have never said anything."
    Camari bit her lip, "I just don't want you getting hurt."
    "I know you only mean well, but to treat me as if I am fragile simply because I am pregnant would be illogical."
    "I'll try not to, girly." Camari said, giving Mac'hla a friendly squeeze.
"How's it coming?" Kirk asked, approaching the lab bench.
"Just about done, Admiral." she assured him, holding up the vials.
"Good girl." he said happily and clapped her back.
Camari's face turned an impossibly deep shade of blue and she looked at the table as he walked away.
"He has a tendency to call people that but he means nothing by it. It used to make me somewhat uncomfortable as well."
"It, uh, didn't make me uncomfortable." Camari said, stumbling over her words.
"Oh." Mac'hla said, and then turned to stare at her, "Oh."
"Just shut up."
"I did not even say anything." Mac'hla defended, amusement evident in their voice.
"Stop!" Camari laughed, playfully pushing them.
Mac'hla smirked and nudged her with their shoulder.
"Alright, alright, don't make me screw up the serum. I've got it all set, and it's ready to go."
T'Ve overheard this and began to load the pain suppressors into a hypospray. Genome modification was extremely painful, and even with the numbing agent, it would still be difficult to bear.
She gently injected each of the officers with the pain suppressors.
"Oh, that's wild." Andromeda muttered, "Pain meds without pain... It feels like a nicotine buzz."
"You got a lot of experience with that, Andy?" Sivna teased.
"The academy was a wild time, Siv, it's best not to question things."
Mac'hla shook their head, remembering the first time they had been convinced to try Andromeda's vape and promptly threw up everywhere. As Andromeda said, the academy was a wild time.
Ejhisseh did not seem in the mood for joking however. While the other officers giggled and joked nervously, she had her head down and eyes fixed to the floor.
Vahn laid a hand on her shoulder and squeezed it gently, "Things are going to be okay. It's tough, I know, but the pain will be over quickly."
"The pain is not what I'm worried about, Doctor. The cruiser crashed into my childhood home..."
His antennae pinned back sympathetically, "I'm so sorry, Ejh..."
"It's fine... I just want to get down there and finish everything as soon as possible."
He patted her hair soothingly, "Worrying about it would be... well, to quote the Captain, illogical. What's done is done and all you can do now is move forward. Everyone is alive, yes?"
"Yes. There were no deaths."
"See? It is always hard to lose something so dear to you, but it is even harder to lose someone. You still have them, and that's what's important."
Ejhisseh offered him a sad half-smile, "I guess so."
"Alright," Camari spoke up, breaking through the multiple conversations, "Ready?"
The officers confirmed, and Camari began her spiel about the transformation.
"Even with the pain meds, this is going to suck... like, a lot. Don't be afraid to scream, sometimes it helps."
"Oh, that makes me feel great about this." Sivna mumbled.
"Don't be a baby. You'll survive." Camari assured them, "Who wants to go first?"
Shockingly, there were no volunteers.
"Alright, then we'll go in order. Siv, tilt your head."
Sivna groaned and turned their head to the side, waiting anxiously for the pain. From what they had heard, it felt like molten lead flowing through one's veins.
Next was Andromeda, and lastly Ejhisseh.
They waited, but no pain came.
Mac'hla's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "Did you make it right?"
"I made it perfectly, I don't–"
Andromeda cried out and slid from the cot, holding their face.
"It's working." Camari said calmly. She knelt down next to her and rubbed her head soothingly.
Next, Sivna and Ejhisseh were affected. Sivna held their face, their eyes burning.
"It is okay." Mac'hla said softly, stroking their shoulders, "You can do this. Pain is in the mind."
Mac'hla watched with horror and fascination as Ejhissehs skin began to bubble and warp. Slowly, their antennae sunk into their head and the ridges smoothed out from their forehead. The blue tint left her, leaving her skin pale and dewy and her white hair darkened to brown. The process must have been shorter for her, as it only had to change half of her genetics.
Sivna wailed and scratched at their eyes, and Mac'hla gently took their hands, "Breathe, Siv. It is almost done."
They opened their eyes and stared up at Mac'hla, and she watched as their pupils dilated, further and further until there was no more rich brown. Just black. Their eyes seemed to have grown, now much larger with long, luscious lashes.
Mac'hla was able to turn their attention to Andromeda, who had almost completely transformed. Their skin had gone from emerald green to dark brown, and their wavy ginger hair had transformed into cinnamon coils.
The three lay panting, recovering from the pain.
"That was... horrific." Jim muttered.
Spock nodded, "I don't remember Nurse Chapel's injections being so painful."
"Her injections were slow-transforming, meaning the pain was spread across a longer time... one would hardly feel it." Mac'hla explained, "Commander Rushim's injection is more efficient, effecting the patient almost immediately, but this causes more intense pain– even with the numbing agent."
"I swear, Camari..." Andromeda groaned, sitting up, "I am going to kill you."
"Yeah, I'll let you do that after the mission." she smirked, "Come on, check yourselves out, maybe you'll forgive me."
Andromeda and Sivna approached a mirror and admired their new forms.
"The eyes are crazy..." Sivna whispered, "I look like a deer."
Andromeda fluffed her hair happily, "My hair is wonderful! Though the lack of green is certainly strange."
Ejhisseh leaned against the wall, refusing to look at herself.
"Miss Zhiquitren?" Spock asked.
"I can't." Ejhisseh whispered.
"Why not?"
"Because I know who I'll look like."
Spock raised an eyebrow, "I do not understand."
"I've always looked like my mom. She's Betazoid. The only thing I have from my dad is the blue and antennae... without it, I won't be me. It will be painful to see."
"Sometimes pain is a part of life, Ensign." Spock assured her, "You have made it this far."
He held out his hand, and Ejhisseh took it. He directed her to the mirror and she stared at her reflection.
She gasped and looked away. She had been right– she looked just like her mother. Any trace of her Andorian heritage was gone.
Tears dripped from her black eyes, and the group shifted uncomfortably.
Mac'hla didn't like seeing their friend in such distress, and they did the only thing they could think of to help.
They pulled Ejhisseh into their arms and rubbed her back soothingly, "You are still Andorian, Ejh. Do not forget that. Your heart is so much more than the way you look."
Ejhisseh sniffled and looked up as Mac'hla let go.
"What was that?" she asked.
"A hug. Many species find it to be comforting... did it work?"
Ejhisseh laughed airily, "Yeah, Mags... it worked."
"You all look quite different." Mac'hla observed.
"I feel different. It's like I can see in HD." Sivna said, blinking their large eyes repeatedly.
"Now remember," Camari said, "You may look the part, but you don't have the telepathic and empathic abilities that Betazoids have. Ejhisseh, you're the only one capable of that. If possible, avoid any telepathic encounters."
"That might be so simple." Ejhisseh said, "Many Betazoids communicate through thought, not verbal speaking."
"Make them talk?" Camari suggested.
"I'll try my best." Ejhisseh said
"Good, good." Camari muttered, "Now, we need to get you changed from these uniforms and into the guards' uniforms."
"I have already programed it into the matter resequencers." Mac'hla said, "Just put in your size and you will be set."
"Brilliant!" Andromeda grinned, "I'm ready when you guys are!"
"Camari, will you bring them to the synthesizers? I am going to show the Admiral and Captain to the transporter room and ensure they make it to the surface safely.
"'Course." Camari smiled, "I'll see you there soon."
Mac'hla gestured for her old friends to leave and followed. She took the lead to direct them down the hall.
"This ship is like a labyrinth." Jim muttered.
"Crossfield class vessels are constructed differently than Constitution class vessels, such as the Enterprise. The halls are constructed in circles with various connecting–"
Mac'hla's knee suddenly gave out and they fell into the wall.
Spock and Jim rushed over to help them stand straight.
"What just happened? Are you okay?" Jim asked frantically.
"I am fine... do you not remember that my knees give out? Ever since the black hole incident, my joints spontaneously buckle for seemingly no reason."
"Perhaps you should sit. You've been on your feet quite frequently." Spock suggested.
Mac'hla knew for a fact that he wouldn't have said that if she weren't pregnant. On the Enterprise, Mac'hla's knees would often give out and she'd fall over, usually landing on their backside with a great deal of force. Spock would always help with a faint expression of sad amusement.
"I am fine." they muttered. Their knee clicked as they straightened out and they cringed, "The environmental controls have been a bit strange as of late and the gravity has slightly increased. It is no matter. Come."
Spock and Jim watched Mac'hla wearily as she walked away, growing more and more worried for their young friend.
"Do you know how long you will be on the surface for, sirs?" Mac'hla inquired, pausing to allow them into the transporter room.
"The conference is scheduled to last two hours, but with the amount everyone talks, it could be longer." Jim explained, straightening his dress uniform.
"That should be enough time for the landing party to gather the information they need." Mac'hla said.
"Do you think you'll be okay up here?" Jim inquired.
"I would much rather be with the away team, however, it is necessary to have someone on board to monitor things."
Spock folded his arms behind his back, "I wish you luck, Captain."
"Why, Mr. Spock," Mac'hla smirked, "You know that Vulcans do not believe in luck."
"Perhaps not...but humans do." Spock said, a faint edge of amusement lacing his words. Once again the two spoke in a way that only they understood; the faint human within them communicating in their own special way.
"Indeed. Humans do."