II.

「SEATTLE, WASHINGTON 」    September, 2033

SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
    September, 2033

Maia, wake up, it's assignment day.

Maia let out a groan and rolled towards the wall, grabbing the top of her blanket and throwing it over her head.

"Come on," hands tugged at the fabric, but Maia held on tight, " Mom will kill us if we're late."

"Go away, Mal."

She tugged again, this time harder, Maia wasn't expecting it and the part of the blanket that was tucked under her leg dragged her towards the edge of the bed.

"Jesus fucking Christ, give me a minute!"

Maia laid under her covers for a moment, listening to her sister footsteps fade away and when she finally heard the bathroom door close, she threw back the blanket and sat up.

She wasn't excited about assignment day. The leader of the resistance had managed to turn her favorite day of the year into her least, and she had a nauseating feeling that her post was going to be something ridiculous like supply distribution or janitorial. All the cards were pointing to cleaning toilets in her future.

Regardless, she managed to get out of bed, rummage through the mountain of dirty cargo pants for a clean pair and find her favorite sweater all within the ten minute window she had before she had to head down to the stadium field.

As she was finishing tying her hair into a ponytail, the bathroom door was pushed open and Malina came out. Her hair perfectly slicked into a military style bun and shirt neatly tucked into her pants.

"Ready?" Mal asked, tightening her watch around her wrist.

"Just—about," Maia drew out her words as she finished lacing her boots up, double knotting them, " and done!"

Maia stood up from her bed and the two faced each other, looking the other up and down. Malina was the image of their father, while the two girls shared the same face, she was what a soldier should look like. Clean-cut, punctual, took commands and didn't question them, cold, sometimes too cold.

Maia was the opposite. She was her mothers daughter through and through. Frizzy hair and wrinkled clothes, she cared too much all the time, she questioned everything and needed logic behind a motive. Maia was confused as to why they even followed the remaining fireflies to Seattle, for structure or a purpose, the two girls hardly knew anyone their age at the hospital and it was proving to be the same situation at the stadium.

"You look so pretty!"

The two girls burst into a fit of giggles as their sentences came out in unison. Maia grabbed the keyring hanging off their bunk beds, " Okay, you're right, we really need to go."