III.

「 JACKSON, WYOMING 」  December 24th, 2037— present day

JACKSON, WYOMING
December 24th, 2037— present day

Maia leaned against the bar, drink in hand as she watched Riley and Dina dance with each other to the music being played by the band. A small smile etched onto her face as the redhead was spun tirelessly around the dance floor. Ellie joined Maia at the bar, her eyes fixated on Dina.

"You should go dance with her." Maia suggested, bringing her glass to her lips and throwing back the remainder of the whiskey. She set it on the bar top and turned towards Ellie.

Ellie scoffed, " I don't think so."

"Listen, I love Jesse, but she's a single woman now and I can see how you look at her."

"What, the same way you look at Riley?" Ellie asked.

"Yeah, something like that—," Maias voice trailed off as the two girls exited the floor and made their way towards them, " I bet she's coming to ask you to dance."

Ellie rolled her eyes, but before she knew it Dina had grabbed her hand and was pulling her towards the floor without asking, leaving Riley and Maia at the bar.

" She's been wanting to do that all night, but didn't want to make Ellie uncomfortable." Riley informed.

"Well that's considerate of her." Maia smiled, looking down at Riley who had leaned her head against her shoulder.

"I would ask you to dance but I think Dina wore me out."

"Yeah, I don't know where she gets her energy from, it's a superpower really." She let out a laugh, " Besides, I think I'm gonna be heading out soon."

"Already?" Riley whined, " But the nights just getting started, and it's your birthday."

" I know," Maia let out a sigh, " But I have patrol in the morning and you know how bad the infected get during this time of year. I don't want to be tired and neither should you."

"Are you at least staying at mine tonight?"

"Yes, you're leaving with me right?" Maia asked, fluttering her lashes and flashing her best smile.

Riley threw her head back and let out a groan, " Of course, how can I say no to you?" She wrapped her arms around Maias waist and pulled her close, planting a soft kiss on her lips, " Let me say my goodbyes and then we'll leave."

Maia watched as she made her way around the barn, her attention was pulled away from the redhead as Joel approached her with a small bow wrapped box.

"Hey kiddo." He greeted, placing the box beside her.

"Hey, Joel." Maia liked him, she had since the day they met, he reminded her of her father in a lot of ways and even though he was rather quiet she knew she could rely on him when she needed something, " Merry Christmas Eve!"