MONOLITH

Billy Black heard the high-revving whine of the Volkswagen Rabbit and hastily wheeled himself out of the towering pepper vines and into the kitchen. He fidgeted in the wheelchair and endeavored to flop himself backward, to look as though he'd been dozing all morning.

Jacob threw the door open, stomped mud into the kitchen, and collapsed onto a chair to curse at the ceiling. He ran his hands through his hair, glanced at Billy, and smirked. "Stop pretending to be asleep. It's an insult."

Billy yawned and said, "So. How'd it go?"

Jacob clicked his tongue on his palate and groused, "I figured a C was achievable."

"You didn't pass?"

"Did I say that, old man? How should I know? I won't get my grades back until Friday." He rapped his knuckles on his head and muttered to no one in particular, "It's not like I didn't try."

"You didn't try. You spent most of the day yesterday down in Forks, and you spent all night thinking about that girl."

"Well what's more important? My love life, or the history of our oppressors?"

"Your only oppressor is you, son."

"Oh, don't give me that tripe. That's the crap they teach us in history. Ugh. I suppose I might have passed that one, though. It's the English I'm worried about. I swear there were words on that test that I haven't heard in my entire life, never mind this summer."

He slammed his boots on the floor and made to stand up. "Well it's been nice talking to you. I'll be going."

"Oh, no you don't."

Jacob gave his father a withering look. "What?"

"You have more finals tomorrow, don't you, son? Which ones?"

"I'd have to check."

"No need, Jake. Algebra II and Our Natural World."

"You've been in my course syllabus?"

"Parents get access, too."

"You don't know how to use a computer. Who the hell logged you in?"

"Leah Clearwater."

Jacob, hissed, "That filthy conniving"–

"Watch it, Jake."

Up on his feet, he spat, "That school has a hell of nerve, putting finals back to back!"

"There are only three days left before the next term. Which you might not be able to participate in. If you don't pass this one."

Jacob cursed again and moved for the front door with the vow that he wouldn't be trampled upon by anyone, let alone the jack-boot-thugs who ran that sham of a high school. He almost got the door open when he heard the arrival of several thundering truck engines, out in the yard.

Moments later, big Sam Uley sauntered in, shirtless with leather breeches, flanked by Paul and a couple more of his guys from the cult, also shirtless, sporting their gaudy tattoos.

"Hey Jake," Paul mocked, "how was school?"

Big Sam Uley and the others chuckled.

Before Jacob could form a retort, old Harry Clearwater and Jez Ateara slipped in behind them.

Jacob railed, "What the hell is all this?"

Harry Clearwater replied, "Council meeting. We're here to help Billy set up, out in the pepper plants. You wanna give us a hand with the grill and coolers?"