𝐎𝐍𝐄

╔══════╗
𝐎𝐍𝐄
╚══════╝

trigger warnings— none

┌──═┈━═──┐

THE SUN pulsed above the divided town of Tulsa, where the rich trashed on the poor and the poor fought the rich. The tumbled weeds growing through cracked cement as the street lights dimmed the alleyways. The parks empty at the pitch black of dark, the smell of freshly damp grass was a town favourite.

Grace Vinnette crossed her legs as she sunk into the cushioned seat of the car, a worn out book held between her hands. Her eyes scanning the soft page, the words printed in her mind like a typewriter.

Her best friend, Lola Waltson, yapped about how there was an attractive looking man at the DX with a smile. Grace's blonde hair swept over her shoulders with a curl, her polished nails dragged along the sentence.

Grace was perfect, flawlessly born without a defect. She was favored when it came to anything, and she was ashamed of it. Grace could never grasp at how blindsided people were with judgement, quick to decide who belongs where with no context. Grace wasn't stupid though, she knew others had it harder and she wouldn't deny it at all.
But it was hard for her to pretend she was perfect, that her home was as lovable as a puppy.

The car came to an abrupt stop as Lola chuckled, closing the car door as she fixed her hair. Grace raised an eyebrow, holding the book close to her chest as she gently closed the door. "God," She furrowed her brows, turning to Lola as they walked side by side. "Really? The DX?"

Lola scoffed, her deep browns eyes crinkled as she smiled. "If we're lucky maybe he's here," she elbowed Grace who playfully rolled her eyes with a laugh, holding the door open for Lola. "Careful, this place is Greaser infested." Lola muttered as Grace ignored her statement as Lola made her way to the counter.

Grace made her way towards the newspaper stand, titling her head as the headline. 'BOY FISHED BIGGEST FISH IN TULSA.'
Grace scoffed, dusting off her skirt as she flipped through the packs of papers.

Lola leaned into the counter as Steve turned around, a cheeky smile placed on his lips as he held the rag in his hands. "Hey, welcome to the DX what could I do for ya'?" He flashed a wink towards Lola who sucked in a sharp breath. "I—uhm, my car's makin' weird noises." She boggled her head, looking back at Grace who wasn't paying attention before glancing back at Steve who nodded.

"Soda!" He hollered, silence with no Soda coming through the door as Steve huffed. "Soda!"

A tall figure made his way towards the counter, a bright smile on his hair as a strand of hair hovered over his eyes of gold. His tan skin glistened under the light as he shoved his sleeves up. "Yeah?" His smile radiated the term 'movie star' with lively eyes.

Steve Randle nodded towards Lola, "she needs a check up, need your help as an assistant." Steve smirked as he patted Soda's back, "lets go check out your car?" Lola followed behind Steve who opened the door for her, "thank you." She smiled as she felt her cheeks grow boiling warm, closing the door behind her, completely forgetting Grace whose nose was stuck in the news.

"Hey, Lola did you know tha—" she turned around, her eyes blank as she snapped her mouth shut at the sight of a boy looking up with an eyebrow raised. "I'm not Lola unfortunately." He huffed with a laugh as Grace adjusted her skirt. "Oh..." she cleared her throat, "do you happen to know where she went, by any chance?"

Soda sniffled, his hips leaning back against the counter with a worn out rag thrown over his shoulder. "Is Lola that girl who just was in here?" He questioned as he snatched his rag, brushing it over a tool as his focus was on it. "Mhm..." Grace hummed, clicking her tongue as such an awkward silence. Grace studied Soda, her heart quickened suddenly, she couldn't help but find him...interesting.

"She just went outside with Steve," he answered as Grace nodded, "in fact I gotta' go out there and help him." Soda chuckled softly, making his way towards the door as Grace opened the door for him.

"Ladies first," he whispered as Grace sighed, allowing him to hold the door. Her foot stubbed against the door, letting out a groan as she flew forward; landing against the door frame.

"You okay?" He huffed with a laugh as she nodded, her face flushing beet red with embarrassment as she straightened her posture. "Thank you," she muttered coldly as she hastily made her way towards Lola.

Steve hid underneath her car, muttering to himself as Lola placed a hand on her hip, Grace cleared her throat, "how long till he's done?" She whispered into Lola's ears who titled her head as Soda leaned against the car.

After a few minutes of torturous silence, Steve slid out from underneath the car with a sigh as Soda gulped his can of water.

"Looks like nothin' was wrong with your car." Steve chuckled hoarsely as Lola nodded, "think it was just my imagination..." her eyes scanned to his name-tag on his flannel, "Steve." She quirked a smirk as Grace looked around, briefly catching Soda's eye.

"Have a good day doll, feel free to come back whenever." Steve winked at Lola who licked her plump lips, clicking her tongue as she opened the car door. "Lets go."

Grace made her way to the other side of the car, her flats crunched above the gravel as she crossed her arms across her chest.

Soda's eyes lingered on Grace who shuffled inside the car adjusting her seatbelt with a huff. The car soon drove off into the distance, leaving a trail of dirt.

He let out a groan as Steve pat his back, "Soc girls, I'm tellin' you." He let out a chuckle, picking up his tool box.

Soda crouched down, snatching the rag from the floor when his eyes caught a book sprawled onto the cement, grasping it with a quirked eyebrow.
"Hey, Steve?"

"Hm?"

"I think that blonde Soc girl left her book here." He showcased the book, patting off the dirt from the cover as Steve squinted his eyes. "Didn't know Soc's could read—"

"Steve we gotta give it back to the gal," Soda flashed a smile. Steve shrugged, "how am I s'possed to do that?"
Soda sniffled, "I'll see her 'round at some point."

┌──═┈━═──┐

A/N: HOW WAS THIS FOR THE FIRST CHAP?😌