bittersweet sixteen

Gentle sunlight lit up Jim's room, the boy asleep in his bed. But even through the thinning curtains of sleep, Jim felt someone's eyes piercing into him. His face created an uncomfortable frown as he felt himself getting closer to consciousness. There was a knock on his door and suddenly, his eyes burst open and he jerked into a sitting position, panting.

"Wake up, wake up!" his mother singsonged as she joyfully entered his room, carrying a tray of his breakfast. "Don't want to sleep through your big day," Barbara smiled as she sat down at the edge of her son's bed. "Big day?" Jim smiled softly, knowing what his mother meant. "The big day you start with.." she gasped as a dramatic pause, "mom's special birthday pancakes!" Jim looked down at the golden stack in front of him. A painted face of syrup and a singular orange candle right in the middle looked back at him. "He looks like he's screaming," Jim chuckled. "He's excited," Barbara excused her extraordinary talent of painting faces on pancakes.

"I know, I know. You always hate your birthday," she began, standing up from the bed. "But you're sixteen! This is a big one. We should do something tonight," she decided. "Oh, mom, you know I don't want to-" Jim began. "This isn't up for discussion. No one should be alone on their birthday," Barbara smiled, opening her son's window. Jim groaned. "But I won't be alone! I have friends, mom!" he protested.

This was a very special day of Jim's. The one day a year that is supposed to be all about him. And in honor of this special occasion, you'd found a way to get the entirety of Trollmarket to help you arrange and implement the most spectacular surprise-party known to Man. And as of now, Tobias was on his way to fetch the birthday boy, telling him there was an emergency - a "Defcon One" situation - in Trollmarket. It would be perfect!

"Everybody, places! AAARRRGGHH, get the machine going! He's about to be here!" you ordered, your voice echoing slightly through the Hero's Forge. The trolls broke off their friendly conversations and returned excitedly back to their places. AAARRRGGHH smiled at you and gave you a thumbs up as he pressed the button on the wall, making the large blades swing out from the walls. You moved over to your place. "Blinky, do you remember your lines?" you yelled as you looked over to the blue troll standing next to AAARRRGGHH. "Every letter!" Blinky replied smiling. 

"Everybody ready?" you asked. Thumbs up and enthusiastic cheers came from the trolls, and you took them as a clear yes. "Action!" you shouted. And with that, the trolls began running around in hysteria, acting frightened as they "desperately" tried to dodge the blades. You shot Blinky a look when Toby and Jim appeared at the entrance of the Forge, signaling him to begin. "Hurry, run!" a male troll yelled as he "saved" you from being sliced. "Good job," you whispered to him as he carried you towards AAARRRGGHH and the button.

"It's too late, master Jim. AAARRRGGHH has lost his mind! Save yourself!" Blinky panted in well-played horror. "Go now, big guy!" you whispered, smiling. "I thought AAARRRGGHH was at your house!" Jim told Toby. Just then AAARRRGGHH roared as he reached Jim, towering dominantly over him. Blinky and Toby ran off to their assigned spots. "Oh my gosh. Was it the kitty litter?" Jim backed up until his armor hit another blade sliding up from the ground. He grunted as AAARRRGGHH grabbed him with both his hands and roared right into his face. 

That was your cue to push the button, drawing back the blades, and push another, lifting the centre of the ground up, the brim lined with turquoise, blue, red and white balloons. You nearly giggled of excitement as the carnival music started playing. "What the-?" Jim asked, confused and still grunting. As you ran over to Jim, Blinky and Toby pulled on their ropes, making a party horn blow and revealing a banner saying "Happy birthday, Jim!" in Troll. 

"Surprise!" everyone smiled as the red light from under the ground turned purple. "Happy birthing day!" you beamed. "What?" Jim frowned, but he was quickly put onto AAARRRGGHH's shoulder. "Good actor," the giant troll proudly grunted.