Chapter 4

Maddy POV~

Maddy stumbled back into the clearing in which her parents had made camp. Sunlight streamed in through gaps in the trees, and frost glistened on overgrown ferns, curled up from the cold.
She wanted to curl up too. Everything she did sapped her energy- the only thing that made it better was returning to wolf form. But even that didn't last long. It was probably the cold and the sadness of leaving her friends behind. That was what her parents said anyway- even they'd noticed the change in her. As she stared around at the camp, she watched her Mam collect branches from fir trees, to use as bedding. Her Dad was being more of a hinderance than a help, dropping branches and tripping over his own feet. It was almost comical- except that she wasn't there helping.
Maddy couldn't bring herself to do any of it; only reminding her of what they'd lost back in Stoneybridge.
Sensing she was there, her dad turned around and smiled gently at her.
"Mads do you want some meat?" he said, pointing at the frozen carcass that lay nearby. A lump rose in her throat at the sight of the bloody deer, but she swallowed it quickly. "Yeah, sure."
Her parents shared a relived glance. Ever since they'd left, she'd survived off meagre pickings and bits of meat that didn't look too disgusting. They'd noticed her diminishing appetite and were constantly reminding her to eat- irritating as it was, she knew they were only trying to look after her.
But she wanted Rhydian, and he wasn't here. A fierce longing settled in her heart, and as much as she tried to ignore it, the pain only grew worse. Suddenly it was as if an arrow had pierced her chest, and she cried out, stumbling backwards.
"Maddy!"
Panicked, her parents rushed to her- horrified by the pain etched across her face. "Deep breaths pet. You're fine. You're fine." Her Mam rubbed circles on her back, her Dad pacing across the frost bitten ground. They seemed to be reassuring themselves as much as her. Slowly, the fire in her chest diminished to a soft throb. Maddy had no idea what had just happened or why- only that she knew, deep down, something was very wrong.

"That's not the first time is it?"
Maddy was silent.
"Daniel we need to get her to a doctor."
"I agree-"
"Mam, I'm fine" Maddy said shakily.
"No Mads, you're not." Then adressing her Dad, she said "Where's the nearest pack- maybe they'll have a healer?"
Her Dad shook his head "At least a day's run- and we don't know how good their healer is."
"Stop it I'm okay!"
"Listen Mads-"
"No you listen! I'm sick of you two talking behind me back, thinking I don't know. I'm not a cub an' I'll make me own choices!"
"Maddy you are a cub and you will do as we say!" her Dad's voice grew louder. "We're trying to protect you!"
"Yeah, well I don't need protecting!"
And with that, she stormed off into the undergrowth, leaving her muttering parents behind her, trying to ignore the throb in her heart.

Hi guys!
So yes, that update took a while and I was kinda waiting for the 10 votes... but I decided 9 was enough and I was too excited not to update!
I had an idea about "goals" for each chapter before I update, so for this one maybe:

~100 reads
~10 votes

Idk if thats too much :)
I don't mind about the number of comments, although they are very motivating when I get them ❤❤ so shoutouts to Cloweycarfagno3 and Walkei114 for those!
Hugs,
Lucy xoxoxoxox