Chapter 5

Rhydian POV~

Rhydian lay again on his bed, staring at the ceiling. What did he used to do before Maddy? His mind was blank- nothing came to him but her face, plastered over his mind and the walls of his bedroom. Those sketches had become everything to him, they were proof she had existed, not some twisted dream or imagining.
He couldn't be with her, and it was all Dr. Whitewood's fault. Rhydian had never hated someone as much. One day, she would pay, and he would be there to see it.

Swinging his legs over the bed, he stood and walked over to his pictures. There must have been about fifty of them, all of her or the two of them together. Carefully, he raised his hand to the paper, tracing the outline of her jaw and the soft entrails of her hair. Under his fingertips, beneath the paper, there was a small mishapen lump.

At the back of his mind, another flashback began to form- but he fought it this time, pushing it away with all his will. Somehow, through concentration, Rhydian slid the sketch to once side, revealing a small silver key. Breathing heavily he pocketed it, hoping against hope that this what he'd missed before. It was becoming harder and harder to fight the flashback- but if he succumbed to it...well he couldn't, he knew that.
Gritting his teeth and clenching his fists, he forced it out, anger his new source of energy, anger at Whitewood, for making him like this, furious because she took the one thing he loved most away from him.

Suddenly, it was gone- as if a massive weight had been lifted off his shoulders. Then he felt dizzy, and sat down quickly. The key must be a clue, but what it was for he didn't know. Rhydian fished it out of his pocket, turning it over in his hands. The silver glinted, shiny and new. It was too small to unlock a door, but perhaps a box or a drawer? And it had to be something to do with Maddy. How else could it have got there? Sighing, he stuck the key back in his pocket. The possibilities were endless, but at least he knew one place to look. Maddy's house.

After all, it had been four months since she'd left- the place probably needed some cleaning up. He pondered on inviting Shannon and Tom. Rhydian felt bad about being so distant, with Maddy gone. Things weren't really the same between them, but he could make it up with this. Grinning to himself, he made plans to tell his foster mum, Mrs Vaughan, that he was going round Tom's for a sleepover. That should give them plenty of time to look for the answer. Finally, after months of moping around, he was doing something to help.

Grabbing his bag- packed with a spare change of clothes and the key- he slung it over his shoulder and ran down the stairs two at a time.
"Rhydian? Where are you going?"
Rounding the corner, he came face to face with Mrs Vaughan, eyeing his dishevelled state and the wild look in his eyes.
"Out. To Tom's. For a sleepover." he blurted.
"Don't run down the stairs next time." she replied. "And make sure you're back before tea tomorrow!"
"Will do."
She smiled, relived he was actually being sociable.

Rhydian walked briskly to the door, unable to contain his excitement for much longer. Closing it quietly, he reached the end of the garden before sprinting off towards Maddy's, relishing the speed his wolf gave him, too careless to notice the shadowy figure watching him from under the trees.

So what did you think of this chapter? Who's the mysterious charcter and what are they doing lurking around...

Anyway thank you again for the comments, shoutout to elysha446 for the first one!

Love you guys
Lucy xoxoxoxoxo

PS: 100 Reads & 12 Votes for the next update ❤