𝑃𝑟𝑜𝑙𝑜𝑔𝑢𝑒

PROLOGUE
Solved Case

The lyrics of maria maria by Santana played throughout the system of the truck. Maria tapped her fingers on the steering wheel, knowing that Luca was drumming his hand on his knees.

Her boss at the NYPD put her on a solo case in Chicago. There was a suspect in a shooting that was from Queens and according to her boss, she had to be the one to investigate it. And there wasn't anyone who could watch Luca, hence, she was bringing him along. Besides, she wasn't gonna let a random stranger watch her kid for a couple of days.

Someone was calling her, leading Luca to answer. "She doesn't want to talk to you, leave her alone."

"Who was it?" Maria questioned.

"I don't know."

"As long as it wasn't your Abuelita, we're safe." Maria told him.

After finding out that it was just her coworker, she felt safer. They drove past the hospital, prompting Maria to tighten her grip on the wheel. Luca had learnt not to question why his mom would get frustrated with hospitals or doctors in general, he didn't need or want to open that can of worms. He was quite happy not being murdered.

Maria's chief had already called the CPD ahead of time so she could investigate as soon as possible. After dropping Luca off at the hotel, she was back in her truck, driving to the CPD building.

The second she stepped inside the building, she was dodging people like bullets. She threw out her now finished coffee in the paper cup. One of the detectives came over to her, "you're the one from NYPD, right? Detective... Moreno?" He asked.

"Yeah."

"Detective Halstead," he sighed, putting his hands on his hips. "Okay, your guy's in that room. Just a heads up, he's very uncooperative— to the point where many people have wanted to just give up." He warned her.

She looked up at him, "I've got it." She waved him off, striding into the room.

Maria let the door slam harshly by itself, then took a seat across from the man. "So... Eugene Tusk, I see you've got a reputation in multiple states. California, New York, Chicago, Texas, and wow, the list goes on." She slammed the file on the table.

Eugene scoffed, holding his hands on the table. "I didn't do it."

"So you didn't kill the woman in the," she paused, looking at the report, "apartment building?"

"Duplex." The second he said that, she hid her smile. His eyes strayed from her direction.

Maria looked at his fingertips. "What was the house number again?"

The words subconsciously dropped from his lips, unaware of the small recording device that was held in Maria's hands underneath the table. "Right. And what was the murder weapon? A revolver?"

"It was a knife."

"Oh, that's right, thanks." She said, then proceeding to acknowledge that he was the killer.

"How the hell did you—"

"Your eyes stayed at your hands the entire time, more specifically, your fingertips, which had blood on them, only part of it was dry, the other part was still fresh. I knew it was a duplex home, but it wasn't released completely to the public yet, so you would have had to know beforehand, you live nowhere near that neighbourhood." She took a deep breath before continuing.

"You also said the house address and number, also not released. Besides, you obviously knew Alicia Redore from your past, an old friend from California 2 years ago. You were both fine until a year ago when she claimed that you were abusing her friend, who is now your ex-girlfriend, which was correct. You've been following each state she's lived in since then and you finally found her, bravo, congratulations, and you killed her to get your revenge. And now, you have jail time." She explained.

Eugene's face was full of shock. "How did you figure that out?"

"A small read into your file."

"Well, there's no confession, you don't have a—"

Maria smirked, holding up the device. She got up from the chair, opening the door to see a cop there, ready to cuff him. "Have fun in your new residence."

"Not bad, Moreno." Halstead said aloud.

"I have my ways."

Maria and Luca are >>>

Maria and Connor meet next chapter (or the next one, depends on how it goes)

Okay, bye!