7. Calm before the storm

Day 23 in France, Kayla's pov

"Try this one on and then the red one. After that we'll look at shoes and accessories and..." Comte's voice got quiter. The reason?

I was tired and want to go back to the mansion.

We walked around the city since morning, from shop to shop, because we were looking for dresses for special occasions.

What kind of special occasion?

Mozart will perform his newly composed music in three days and he said he will take me with him, because I partly helped him with his music.

I was stupid not to think of buying even one dress when I went shopping with Leonardo.
Comte is bombarding me with dresses.
It takes me 5 minutes to put on or off one of those heavy dresses and I wore around ten of them already and it does not seem like Comte will be satisfied soon.

"Comte! Thank you for your generosity and the dresses but why so many? You know...I will not have the time to wear all of them..." at the last part I felt sadness creep up inside of me.

Comte stopped at my words and looked at me.
I'm sure he was studying my sad expression because he stopped everything and asked of we could be left alone for a while.
After the the people who helped me dress and serve Comte tea left, he stepped towards me.

"Ma Cheri, you are right there is not much time left, but if you remember what I said the that time we talked, we will make sure that you will have the best time here. That is what I am doing right now too.
This will be your first and surely last time in a theatre in the 19th century Paris. So I will make sure you will be the number one at Mozart's concert."
Comte smiled gently at me and put his big warm hand on top of my head.

"You need to show him that you will give him your full support, right?
Since you came into his life he opened up a lot. I am thankful to you."

Seeing his genuine eyes look back at me I knew that he was speaking only the truth, but I didn't want to acknowledge it.

I can't. If they are even nicer to me I don't know if I can muster the strength to go through that door.

I never would have thought that Comte's words would have such a great impact on me.

I looked down away from him and I felt my eyes getting teary.
'I miss them already...even though I'm still here...'
I took a deep breath to calm my emotions and looked at Comte again giving him a smile which he returned.

"Let's finish this up quick then we can go and eat at a café. What do you say ma Cheri?" He asked while letting the people back in and I gave him a nod.

'Get yourself together Kayla... don't let your thoughts ruin the mood.'

...

"I never would have thought that that my first time eating ratatouille would be in 19th century Paris! Now I can finally check, eating ratatouille like in the movie ratatouille, off my list!"
We arrived at the mansion and I walked a bit faster then Comte while we were nearing the doors of the mansion.

"They really named a movie after a food?" Looking at Comte it seemed like he didn't know, if he should question it or laugh at it.

I laughed to myself at his reaction.

Stepping through the door everything went black.
"What the hell?!"
I could feel two hands on my eyes and someone behind me.
I put mine over the hands and tried to peel them off.
"Now, now. Have you never heard that, if you come home and someone puts their hands over your eyes that you should not move?"
I heard a bit of sarcasm in the voice and I knew the voice all to well because I heard it every day.