Supervisor

(1432 words) 

Your POV 

"House, this is your new boss." 

"I guess that means I'm his best friend now." 

Looking at Wilson he gives a slight shrug. House sighs gently, this was going to be an interesting time. House was off at the races, when someone hits the floor having a seizure. Sitting in the office waiting for House, Foreman is talking about being an addict on drugs, alcohol, and gambling lights the same pleasure center in the brain light up. 

Chase makes a comment about how it doesn't take his pain away, only for House to walk in at the same time, saying it does when he wins. Looking up at him he glances away, knowing he doesn't like it when he gambles. 

"Platelets at 89, she's anemic, and her blood alcohol level is .13." 

"A working girl, probably an STD, infection." 

"Alcohol abuse says it all, causes seizures and effects her body's ability to clot." 

"The bruises don't look like DIC bruises," 

"Then she's being beaten by a boyfriend or a pimp." 

The team starts her tests with the one for Cushing's. It would explain both symptoms she has. Foreman steps out to get coffee as I stare down House. 

"You're going to catch me on fire." 

"Good, maybe you'll stay out of the OTB." 

He turns to look at me. "I'm sorry, I was there-" 

"To bet on the race." 

"No, I was getting some extra money for something." 

Raising a brow I look at him as I tilt my head. "Extra money? You're the head of diagnostics, money shouldn't be an issue." 

He nods gently. "It was supposed to have been a surprise, but I found a patient." 

Looking at him confused he sighs gently, rubbing his forehead before going into his office. Getting up to follow him, I cross my arms. "How are you going to surprise me with gambling on horses?" 

He shakes his head. "If I tell you, then it isn't a surprise is it?"

Watching his eyes for a second, he looks away. "If I find out you're lying to me, that cane is going to be your new boyfriend." 

He looks at me before nodding and sitting down. "I told you, the last thing I want to do is hurt you." 

Nodding gently I wrap my arms around myself. "I know, I just worry you'll go into your old habits again." 

Sighing gently, he looks at his desk, before I walk over to him and put my hand on his shoulder. "Your surprise better be good." Taking my other hand he kisses it gently making me smile. 

With Foreman in charge, everything goes through him. So if he screws up, it's his he can't hide behind House for the next couple of weeks. Looking at him, he glances at me. "Did you two do the LP yet?"

I shake my head, as he sighs. "Go." 

Getting up House follows me and we get into the elevator. "Do you want to do it?"

"You mean 'it' it, or the LP?"

Giving him a look he smirks gently. "You mean the LP, I can do it."

"It's been a while. Are you sure?"

He nods gently. "Do you think I would forget how to do a lumbar puncture?" 

I shrug slightly. Getting Anika to lay on her side and bring her knees to her chest, House gives her the lidocaine shot and tries several times, to get into her spine. He fails and she has to have meds to keep her heart rate down. Heading back to his office, he sighs gently.