Part 17

Kai sat at the table, tracing his finger on the edge of his cup of tea.

"So honey, it's been a while since we last caught up, how have things been?" Maya prompted from across the table.

"And what's with the sudden visit? Not that we don't appreciate it, but well, it's almost 9 pm and you were very out of breath when you ran up the path..." Ray sat down beside Maya, mixing sugar into his tea.

Kai continued to look into the deep red of the black tea. It flashed an image of pools of his own blood in his mind. Kai caught his breath and promptly covered the cup, letting the steam burn his hand.

Maya gave him a concerned look and glanced at Ray. Kai noticed and cleared his throat.

"I-- Uhm-- Things are... fine? A-- A bit slow haha... but fine." Kai sat up straighter and took a sip of his tea, placing his red palm on the table.

"Mhm..." Maya slowly nodded, not quite believing what Kai was saying. Kai looked away.

"I... I guess... I'm sort of... running from the others...?" Kai suggested to his parents.

"What do you mean by that?" Ray asked, concerned, he and Maya shared a look. Kai hesitated.

"Well... let's just say I may have left earlier today with... little explanation of why. And so uh, I'm afraid that... if..." Kai didn't know how to phrase it.

"If... you were to go home they'd question you? And you don't... want to talk right now?" Maya suggested a continuation. Kai considered it and nodded slightly, sniffling, looking down to hide the tears in his eyes.

"That's totally ok, well, maybe not the running away without explanation part haha--" Ray noticed a glare from Maya and stopped himself, clearing his throat. "But-- But not having the words to explain yourself is fine, normal even." Ray and Maya patiently waited for Kai to answer. Kai slowly took a deep breath.

"Yeah... uhm, ok," He glanced up, feeling a bit childish. "Thank you," He gave them a small smile which they returned.

Ray and Maya changed the subject and told Kai about how they had settled back into the blacksmith shop and how everyone in town was so welcoming.

"The fact is though, now that we've settled back in, it's almost as if we never left!" Ray and Maya laughed with each other and Kai soaked in the moment, he wasn't sure he would be able to feel this peaceful again anytime soon.

"Mum, dad!" A cry sounded from outside. A shiver went down Kai's spine as he realised whose voice it was. Maya looked around Ray and down the path and saw the group of ninja.

"Oh, Nya dear! Hello, sweethearts!" Maya called to them with a wave, getting out of her seat with Ray.

"Where's Kai?" Cole asked, out of breath as they jogged up the path. They came to a stop, puffing, looking desperately at Ray and Maya.

Kai shook all over, feeling like his cup might break from how hard he was holding onto it. He stood up and slowly walked around the table, into the view of the others.

For a moment, everything seemed to pause. No one said anything.

The others had looks of relief and frustration, but they were all worried. Kai looked down with embarrassment.

"Kai..." Zane spoke quietly. Kai hesitated but glanced up, just in time to see Nya snap.

"KAI SMITH!!" She shouted with tears streaming down her face. Everyone took a step back from her, afraid of getting in the way, but Kai just gave her a defeated expression. "YOU-- You--" She threatened him as if she was going to slap him, and she probably would've if it weren't for the whole reason they were here.

She broke down in sobs and fell onto Kai with a hug. Kai hugged back, happy to feel safe.

Everyone else breathed a sigh of relief but still held concerned expressions.

"Kai... Don't-- don't you know how worried we-- we got?" Nya's broken voice shattered Kai. "Why-- Why... Why would you just leave like that?"

Kai hesitated. He was so tired and ready to go home, but above all else, he felt so guilty. So ashamed. He had left knowing exactly how it'd make his friends feel if they found him missing.

Kai pressed his face against Nya's shoulder, he didn't really want to cry for the billionth time.

"I'm sorry..." Kai breathed just to Nya. She sighed shakily and pulled away. Kai quickly wiped his eyes.

"You moron," She nudged him playfully with a small smile and Kai smiled back.

"Let's go home, yeah?" Cole suggested after a short pause.

"Yeah, honestly, we're tired from stress but I can imagine you're exhausted," Jay sighed, and Kai nodded slightly.

He definitely was, he was ready to fall asleep standing up if only he had Lloyd to--

Lloyd.

Kai perked up at the thought of Lloyd and looked around at his friends.

"Where's... where's Lloyd?" Kai asked hesitantly. The others looked between themselves, surprise and confusion written in their expressions.

"Oh... I guess he stayed behind with Sensei," Nya answered slowly.

"I assume they wanted to talk to the officers about--" Zane stopped himself, realising that Kai probably hadn't told Ray and Maya. But Kai took it another way, he was taken aback as he thought about what Zane was implying.

Wu and Lloyd were going to read his statement. Was that even allowed? Kai was almost sure that they'd have to at least ask his permission before they did so. Almost sure.

"Uhm, let's-- let's go you guys, bye Ray and Maya!" Jay started walking backwards, waving to Ray and Maya. The others followed too.

"That can be mum and dad if you'd like, Jay!" Maya called after him. Jay blushed up and Nya giggled. Kai shook his head in playful disapproval.

"Bye mum and dad, and thanks for the tea," Kai turned to them and gave them a hug each.

"Of course, honey, visit us more often, ok? We've missed you and Nya, and Nya's welcome to bring Jay along, we'd love to get to know him more, and meeting his parents would be great too!!" Maya rambled to Kai and he stood there with a small smile.

"Ok dear, I think Kai gets it. When you get a girlfriend, we'd love to meet her too," Ray winked and Kai felt his chest go tight.

"Yeah-- Yeah, haha... uhm, I'll see you!" Kai strained and ran off after his friends.