A Beyond Birthday Boy!!

+

All Light has to do is wait forty seconds. He shivers with anticipation, the thought of everyone around him dead both thrilling and depressing. Light went out of his way to weave a web littered with evidence fragments, hoping it would bring another challenger as clever as L. Light missed the adrenaline running through his veins, the heart racing because he was so close to being caught. He needed someone competent to challenge him, someone as competent as L. Light enjoyed poking all the Alpha's buttons, testing and disproving the Alpha with each turn. But none of these people challenged their god like they should have. Light may be too merciful, putting them all down like the dogs that they are. Light cannot risk his new world being filled with incompetent fools unable to tell holiness from sin.

Each passing second takes longer than the previous. Time has slowed down, ramping up the emotions in the room. Everyone waits with baited breaths, completely ignoring the pep talk L's deeply disappointing heir gave. Light still cannot believe that L picked a young child who plays with toys as his heir. The heir— Near— offers up no competition, no thrill. Light bites his lip to keep from laughing. The small Beta continues to move his creepy little toys around on the floor, each little toy resembling someone within the room. Light tilts his head at three figures not present in the room— Mikami Teru, L, and someone who looks nearly identical to L. Did the child really bring a toy version of L as a memorial of some sort?

"Mikami Teru, why don't you come in and join us? I know you're right outside the door." Near moves the toy version of Mikami near Light, as if Mikami and Light were equals.

Light sneers at the thought of Mikami and he being equals. Light is made to give orders; Mikami is made to take orders. Light is inherently more powerful than Mikami could ever be, a fact that Mikami knows and agrees with. Light needs people like Mikami, but that doesn't put him on par with them. As a matter of fact, Light refuses to truly befriend other Omegas. He himself may be an Omega, but he is superior to any other Omega in existence. Light loses his sneer, smiling to himself. Even now, Mikami refuses to listen to the little brat. Light is the only person Mikami will take orders from.

"Yes. Why don't you come in? Surely, if you wrote all our names down, you'll have nothing to fear." Light tries his best to sound concerned and trusting of Near. He cannot get too excited yet. Everyone still has thirty seconds left, and things could still go wrong.

Mikami enters the room, giving Light a polite nod. He says nothing, giving the group a cold once-over. Standing there, judging others, Light can only think that Mikami never really left his childhood behind him. He's still the little nerd that nobody truly loves, not even Light. Light appreciates that Mikami bows to his every whim and need, but Light doesn't love him for his devotion. Mikami would be a good boyfriend to an Alpha who would spoil their Omega in constant attention. Light wonders if any of Mikami's devotion comes from the blockers Light uses.

"Interesting," mutters Near.

"Hmm?" questions Light, feigning innocence.

"He came to you went you told him to, Kira," replies Near calmly, touching Light's figure.

Light looks away from his unnerving toy caricature, glancing down at his wristwatch. Twenty-five, twenty-four, twenty-three, twenty-

"I can't believe I'm going to die," admits Matsuda. Matsuda ruffles his hair, looking at the group. No one says anything to him.

Light continues to check his wristwatch, grinning when he realizes the group has ten seconds of life left. Soon, Light will be unstoppable. He will reign an endless reign where the innocent shall prosper. His mother and sister— dear god, his poor little sister— will be cared for. People will praise and worship his name for eons to come, forgetting all about the days they lived in fear. The world will be clean, free of criminals.