eight

═══ CHAPTER EIGHT :: MY FLIRTY JULIA

Julia Kim didn't dare say a word as she sat in the vehicle, playing with her handcuffed hands, attempting to distract herself.

"Agent Kim," Hobbs called out. "What do you have to say about this?"

The brunette stayed silent, avoiding eye contact as she kept her gaze glued to her feet. She took a deep breath upon hearing her boss call for her, knowing very well what he was about to say.

"I haven't processed your resignation yet," he announced, earning surprised looks from the others.

They hadn't expected the youngest to have turned in her resignation.

"Process it then."

"What the fuck?!" Chato exclaimed, looking back at the woman. "Boss is giving you a fucking free pass after all the shit you pulled, and you are trying to be cool by telling him to process your resignation?"

Julia shrugged, still struggling to make eye contact. "I did what I did, knowing I wouldn't get my job back at the DSS. That's all," she explained.

Chato sighed, looking ahead in defeat, knowing he couldn't get through to his ex-worker.

Julia Kim felt bad for her boss — well, ex-boss now — knowing that everything came to him as a shock, especially since the two always had some special bond between them.

They were like a father-daughter duo at work. Everyone knew that whatever mission Julia went on, their boss, Hobbs, would follow. That's how tight-knit they were.

Just as the woman gathered the courage to apologize, Hobbs' warning grabbed everyone's attention. "Ambush!" He yelled, holding on tightly to whatever he could.

Before anyone could react, the rocket-propelled grenade streaked through the air, landing right on the Yukon in front of the vehicle that carried them.

As if second nature, Hobbs turned back as their vehicle came to a stop over a parked car, instantly locking eyes with the brunette, who looked shaken.

"Julia!" Hobbs called out, his eyes scanning the vehicle as he checked on the others. "Are you alright?"

Brian's worrying gaze left Mia upon hearing Hobbs, looking at their youngest, who was hugging her knees, eyes screwed shut to calm herself down.

"I got her." Brian nodded, moving towards the brunette. "Check the others."

Hobbs took a deep breath, talking into the radio. "Wilkes, suppression fire! Shut them down!" He turned towards Chato, nodding slightly. "Stagger-step. Cover me," he ordered before walking out of the vehicle.

The Toretto siblings watched silently as Brian tried speaking to the youngest, struggling to comfort her with the handcuffs on him.

"Hey, Jules. Talk to me, love." His heart broke upon hearing her sobs, wrapping his arms around her however he could, patting the younger's back. "What can I do for you?"

"I'm okay," Julia croaked out, wiping away her tears. "I'm f-fine."

Brian removed his arms from around her, turning towards Mia for help. The brunette nodded, exchanging seats with her boyfriend before sitting next to Julia.

Mia pressed a chaste kiss on the younger's forehead, pulling her closer. "I'm gonna need you to cover your ears, close your eyes, and stay close to me until I tell you, okay?" She softly ordered, the youngest complying almost immediately.