Ch. 10: Beneath My Crooked Nose(3)

My greatest fear in living so long was that I'd lose myself; that I'd lose myself in the years and the lives that left me.  That perhaps I'd die in the memories of those who truly remembered me; in my natural life.
And sometimes, I mourn the person I could've been...had things not gone wrong.  Yet, after all these years, I'm still the girl with her heart on her sleeve, I'm relieved that even if I've lost those around me, I have not lost myself.
I thought about all of this in depth as I put on my dress.  I'd spent hours finding little things to add to my makeup, or another hair that I had looked over when I was styling it.  I wanted my first Yule Ball to be perfect.
And my date?

Severus Snape.

I wanted answers to his personality.  Not in a way to which I could use it against him, but rather, I'd like to know why he is the way that he is.  There been very few people in my lifetimes that have had such conviction in being...mysterious to me.
Though I suppose my curious nature was only proof that I hadn't lost myself.
Luckily for myself, the mask i had bought for the ball hid my primary features, I made my nose slightly rounder, and my lips slightly thinner.  Lastly, I made my hair shorter, closer to a pixie cut, and I styled it neatly.   My eyes would just have to stay the same, they were my favorite feature, I'd hate to see them in a different light.
I debated on telling Irma of my plan, I figured that she'd recognize my dress even if I didn't.  So, perhaps against my better judgement, I told her everything.  And while she was surprised at my admittedly bold decision, she was in full support....under the condition that I'd tell her what Snape was hiding behind his cold glances and snarky remarks.  Naturally, I agreed, assuming I'd even discover anything at all.
I waited impatiently as time passed, finding little things to meddle with to ease my busy mind.
I rearranged here and there, check myself in the mirror, anything to calm my raging nerves.
I jump as I hear the knocker outside my door make contact with the door urgently, I open the door to find Irma.

"I found this and I thought of you, since you mentioned you were muggle-born from America.  I heard they have things called proms, and I thought this would be fitting," she smiled and opened her hands to reveal a black velvety wrist corsage.

I was speechless for a moment, not being able to truly wrap my mind around how considerate the gift was, how much thought was put into it.  It even matched my dress.

"Thank you...so much,"I said as the awe was apparent in my tone.

She just pulled me into a hug and held me there.

"I just want you to know that I'm your biggest supporter." She smiled shyly and made her exit before I could reply, yet I'm not sure anything I could say would amount to her kindness.

———————————————————————-

I did one last once-over before leaving my chambers and making my way to the Yule Ball.  My palms were getting hot and sticky, and my heart was practically in my ears.
I wasn't nervous about the Yule Ball specifically, but rather the fact that I was going to try to get closer to Snape.
As soon as I walked in, I took note of the extravagant beauty of the Grand Hall in its full glory.  The ceiling was still enchanted to look like the night sky, except there were now constellations of people dancing.  The room was made to look like a frozen wonderland: themed ice sculptures were placed in the center of attention; enchanted snow sat on the window seals and fell from the ceiling; blue decorations were lined everywhere they'd fit; mask-like decorations pulled together the theme even more. 
The staff sat at the head tables, over-looking the crowd.  I finally spotted the man I couldn't quite stop thinking about.
Snape wore a long black dress robe and his hair was slightly less messy.  His robe had an elegant deep green lining to represent his house.  For the dungeon bat that he usually was, he looked pretty dapper.  His dress robes were better fitted, and made him look less like some winged creature.
I made my way over to him, knowing I only had one shot to pull this off, or else the whole opportunity would go to waste, so I took the straight forward approach.
I saunter over to him and stand right beside him as I watch Dumbledore and Minerva leave to dance.
"You know, I think you did yourself a favor by not wearing a mask," I say to him and smirk playfully to hopefully inspire a lighthearted mood.

Was that too forward? Or weird?

Snape seems taken aback momentarily, before coldness overtook his gaze once more,"I don't believe I've seen you before, miss....?"

He spoke slow and deliberately, glancing at me from his peripheral view.

"Miss Evelyn Larue," I thought long and hard over my fake name, but settled on two names from my favorite books.

Snape gave a small grunt in response while moving his gaze back to the crowd.

"I suppose you think I should wear one of those silly, preposterous masks?"

The edge of his lips twitch ever so slightly as he asks.

A laugh escapes me,"Perhaps so, you could add to your suspense.  No one would even see it coming."

The bemused look is in eye is the only thing keeping me from shrinking away and giving up on my goal.  Though I find comfort knowing that his eyes are the gateway to his emotions.

"I...am not one for such festivities."

There a small awkward moment before he continues, as if debating to say more, but he relents. "I heard a student say that I didn't need one because my face is scary enough.  Is that perhaps your reasoning as well?"

I chuckle, admittedly a little saddened by his students harshness.

"Not at all, I simply said that because I didn't know how to approach you...,"I decide to be honest as I say this, hoping not to offend him.

"Am I truly so mysterious?"

"Oh yes, hauntingly so."

A ghost of a smile sits on his pale lips, though I dare call it a smile.  I almost didn't catch it in the flurry of our surroundings and his reluctance to show genuine emotion.

"Is this your way of asking for a dance?" 

I hesitate for a moment, it seems he guessed my intentions,"Is that your way of saying yes?"  I smirk a little, admiring my own wit.

He doesn't respond, but rather, extends his hand for me to take it....