Chapter 2

"Hey, Frank?"

Frank's face lit up when he heard Gerard's voice over the phone. He was the one to call first, so that answered his initial question. "Hey, yeah, it's Frank. How's it going?" he responded, instantly feeling so much better than he previously did.

"Oh, yeah. Hi. Uh, would you like to come over?" Gerard suggested, his voice much lower-pitched with a crunchy raspy tone.

"Oh, sure. Is something wrong?" Frank initially asked.

"Oh, no, no, nothing's wrong. You're coming? I-It's important." Gerard brushed it off.

"Yeah, sure. What's your address?"

Gerard breathed deeply on the other end of the line. "Uh..." he stalled, and then sniffled, "it's fine if you can't make it. I know you're a busy guy and you must have a bunch of other things to do."

"Where do you live?" Frank asked again, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Um, if you, uh, take the bus from the salon, you should be here in twenty minutes. I'll meet you at the door."

"That doesn't help me," Frank told him.

"Be here." And with that, Gerard hung up.

Frank closed his cell phone and stared at it for a moment after the call ended. It had to take him a moment to recover from the utter strangeness of their interaction. Gerard hardly seemed like the kind of guy to be so vague and cryptic, but yet he was. Twenty minutes from the salon? That could be anywhere.

Perhaps Gerard just wasn't very comfortable with phone calls—Frank knew a lot of people like that.