Chapter 2

While he in no way was inexperienced with women nobody had ever jumped him like this, and he found he didn't like it. Definitely not. He glared at her, she obviously could not take a hint and was just standing there smiling at him. It was ridiculous, and anyway, she wasn't his type. She was too tall, too bossy, too stupid, and on top of all that, she was wearing some ridiculous pink dress. He sighed, what was it with this town and the color pink?

'Dinner,' she repeated, 'and maybe drinks after.'

He groaned, all he wanted was some proper food, a shower, and a quiet evening in a comfortable room with his new book. Still, his stomach was growling at the mention of food, and he looked at her again. She appeared to be well-fed and healthy, so if she was a local perhaps she could be useful after all.

'You know place?' he asked, 'Good food? Clean?'

The girl beamed at him again. 'You accept? You will take me to dinner?'

'Fine,' he grunted, 'If place good, I buy food.'

Her eyes glazed over for a second, then she smiled, 'I accept too.'

Despite his objections, she hooked her arm in his and dragged him with her.

'I know just the place.'

The restaurant she took him to was better than he had expected. The tables were scrubbed spotless, the food was fresh, beautifully plated, and delicious. The beer he had ordered with it was a good brand and served icy cold and foamy. It was perfect, except for one minor detail. He gave the girl sitting opposite him another hostile glare. She was chatting happily, obviously not caring if he listened or not. He was not, of course, but the constant noise was grating on his ears even if he was ignoring the words.

Why couldn't she just leave?

Feitan pointed to her almost empty plate, 'You done? I pay, so you go now.'

'No, no, we need more drinks, and then find a room.'

'No. Agreed buy food. No more. Can find room myself.'

'Dinner, and drinks after,' she repeated it like a mantra and he sighed.

When the waitress came to clear their plates, he ordered another beer, and the girl ordered a drink with a weird name involving beaches and sunsets. The waitress swiftly returned and Feitan stared at the monstrosity sitting next to his glass on the small tray. It was pink, of course, and seemed to hold more decorations than actual liquid. Everything from fruits, flowers, and heart-shaped ice cubes had been stuffed into the tall glass, together with a straw and a small paper umbrella. Both pink.

The girl slurped it up quickly and he ordered another for her. If she got drunk enough he could easily sneak away and get on with his evening. It seemed a better plan than to kill her. Unless she had any interesting cards that was, but he doubted that. She didn't seem the type to take the game seriously.

He took a sip of beer and sighed happily, licking the foam from his lips.

His opportunity came earlier than expected when she suddenly got up and excused herself saying that she had to go and 'powder her nose', whatever that meant. From what he could see there was absolutely nothing wrong with her nose, in fact, it probably hadn't been broken even once. If he was honest with himself, he'd have to admit that he actually found her rather pretty. Still annoying, of course. More annoying than pretty.

As soon as she turned around the corner Feitan acted quickly. He gulped down the last of his beer and paid their bill with a rather large note, not bothering to get any change back. Then he bolted.

Making full use of his impressive speed Feitan sprinted across the rooftops, and soon found himself in the other end of town, stopping in a narrow back alley. He took a deep breath, he was finally alone again. A rattling sound behind him made him spin around quickly, half expecting to see the girl standing there, but to his relief, it was only a big orange cat that had managed to pry off the metal lid of one of the garbage bins lined up against the tall building.