|14|

When my alarm woke me up, I got a sudden feeling of excitement. Today, Monday, I was supposed to start making content for my songs.

Even though I didn't know what that meant, I was still excited.

I made my way into the kitchen to make coffee, but something felt off.

By the coat hanger, Jacks jacket and his shoes were gone. He probably went to work out or something.

But still, something didn't feel right, so I investigated further.

Leaving the empty mug on the counter, I walk over to the guest room. The door was shut, so I gently knocked on it, "Jack?"

No response.

I slowly opened the door to find a perfectly made bed and no trace of him ever being here.

I bit my lips trying to think of what he could have done. Maybe a family thing, but he would have said something to me. He isn't the type of guy to just leave you high and dry for no reason.

I make my way back into my room to see if he'd texted me about his sudden disappearance, but what I saw was much worse.

7 unread texts from Grant and the very top one that said, "The past two years have meant nothing to you? I love you, Mellie."

My mouth opened as I read the rest of the texts. He was full on confessing his love for me. But I didn't even like-like him.

Then, last night started replaying in my head. Me asleep on Jack, my phone on the arm of the couch, buzzing over and over.

Jack saw all of the messages.

He thinks that there is something between Grant and I. And he's too nice to say anything that would keep us apart,

But I didn't want Grant, I wanted Jack.

I pull my phone off the charger, and at the same time, Lacy calls me. I answer.

"Melanie," she starts, "are you ready for your first day of content? Because I am!"

"Lacy I have to do something," I put my hand to my forehead, "I'm sorry. I'll be there tomorrow."

"No," her voice lowers from her peppy tone, "you can't just skip. This is work."

"Then I'm sick," I say, and hang up the phone.

I frantically get ready as I text Jack.

Mellie
We need to talk. Trust me.

Jack
Can't. I'm about to get on a plane.

I quickly finish brushing my teeth and throw on a t-shirt and sweatpants.

I look on the airline website for the departing planes for Virginia. One leaves at 11:30.

It's 9.

It takes me roughly an hour to get to the airport, so I have to hurry.

I grab my purse and my phone and leave. 

For some reason, traffic seemed to be moving even slower today. Maybe it was the universe telling me to let him go, but the universe also killed my brother.

I'm kidding.

Somehow, speeding all the way, I made it to the airport at 10:15.

There had to be some way for me to get through security, so I booked a flight to somewhere random and just decided I would cancel it later.

The security line took forever. Probably 30 minutes. Which was not good, because typically, flights start boarding 30 minutes before departure.

I shamefully fast-walked through the airport until I found a large screen that showed his gate number.