Chapter 11

As the clock strikes midnight, the moon hidden behind a layer of clouds ceases to be visible as the world plunges into darkness.

 We find ourselves standing at a curious location - a small, unassuming shack nestled near the foothills of a mountain range with a small stream of glacial water flowing beside it. The water is cold and fresh, free from impurities to be brought upon it eventually by human hands. The atmosphere is quiet except for a gentle breeze, causing the blades of grass to sway with a palpable sense of vitality. Surrounding the shack is a group of dozing mountain goats, despite the cold weather, lending to the peaceful and solitary atmosphere. A small wooden fence around the vicinity of the shack seemingly prevents wild animals from entering.

The shack itself is a humble one, with a roof fashioned from straw and walls consisting of sturdy tree branches. Besides the shack, there are no signs of human civilization nearby. The shack is dark and no light can be seen coming from the inside.

The tranquility of the atmosphere is disturbed by the sound of footsteps coming through the darkness

The tranquility of the atmosphere is disturbed by the sound of footsteps coming through the darkness. They are firm, confident footsteps. The ears of the goats stand up as they become aware of the presence of a person. Curiously, the bellow of a cow follows as if announcing the arrival of the individual.

Under the cover of a starless night, an enigmatic figure of impressive stature made its way towards the shack nestled in the valley.  The person's long hair flows gently in the breeze. As he approaches the shack, all the goats wake up and move out of the way making space for the person to walk.

With bated breath, the figure kneels before the door. As he does this, some movement can be heard on the other side.

"Speak," a voice says.

The person looks up and starts speaking. 

"She has found the boy my lord." The man says with a hint of fear in his voice.

"And how did that happen?" The voice replied in a monotonous tone.

"We got careless. We didn't expect her to be there" he said his voice shaking a bit now. "I apologize."

Silence.

"I promise we'll find him, my lord," he says frantically. "He's not a threat to us right now."

After another moment of silence, the voice replies.

"Leave"

As the man rises to his feet, he reaches up to dab at the beads of sweat that have formed on his forehead. Although the air is chilly, he feels the warmth of excitement coursing through his veins. With a subtle nod of his head, he silently acknowledges that the meeting has gone well. Earlier he had been cursing his luck as to why he was the one who had been chosen to deliver the bad news but is now relieved to have relayed the information and pleased with the outcome.

Well, that was easy, he thinks.

As the man finishes brushing off the dust from his pants, he notices a distinct sound of hooves in the distance. Curiosity piqued, he takes a few steps towards the gate. However, his attention is soon drawn away by a cow staring directly at him, its tail flicking back and forth in a menacing manner. The moon, which had been obscured by clouds, reappears and casts a soft light on the cow's horns. The horns glisten and shimmer in the darkness, adding to the eerie atmosphere of the night. The man can't help but feel a sense of unease wash over him as he stands there, silently observing the cow. In the silence, the only thing that he could hear was his heartbeat and the hooves of the cow.

"My lord?" he asks.

There is no reply as the cow runs towards him and the valley is engulfed by silence again.