03 | Dismissive

˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗

"I see you've met Abbott," Mason said in a sly tone.

"Professor Abbott? Yes, I accidentally ran into him, I feel so bad. I'm such a cluts," she replied, sort of smiling to herself.

"You know he's a real fuckin' douche, right?"

"Him? No! He was so kind to me! I have a course with him this semester."

He let out something between a scoff and a laugh, replying, "Okay, Annabel."

Condescension was dripping from Mason's tone. She understood that he had been on the campus for much longer than she had, but Professor Abbott was so nice. She couldn't ever picture him as the things that Mason was describing him.

The rest of their meal was filled with tension due to their disagreement about the Professor's character. She hadn't meant to upset her new friend, she just couldn't understand where he was coming from.

As they rose from the table, Annabel couldn't help but make peace.

"I'm sorry, Mason. I didn't mean to upset you. He was just so sweet to me," Annabel said.

"It's all good," Mason said, sounding detached.

They approached the doors, seeingthe rain had stopped. A darkness had covered the campus, provoking Annabel to check her watch.

10:34 pm, it read.

"I have a few errands to run, but I can walk to Hansee to make sure you get in safe," Mason said, a dismissive tone present when he spoke.

"Thanks, I appreciate it," Annabel replied.

The walk back to the dormitory was a silent one, their steps being the only thing to fill the silence. Annabel didn't understand how a simple disagreement like the one they had could cause him to become so cold towards her. She hadn't meant ill. Annabel just wanted to give Dr. Abbott the benefit of the doubt.

As they approached the doors to Hansee Hall, Annabel thought to ask a question that may soften Mason's demeanor towards her.

"Hey, what courses are you taking this semester?" Annabel asked.

"Mm, I'd have to check when I get back to my room. I don't remember those sorts of things. Do you want to exchange numbers so I can let you know?" Mason replied.

"Uh, sure!" Annabel grew excited at the prospect of making her first friend at the University.

He handed her his phone, prompting her to enter her phone number into his contacts. She titled the contact, "Annabel :)"

"Cool beans," Mason said. He opened the door, ushering her inside.

"Well, I'm sure I'll see you around here," he said. "I've got a few things to do, so I've got to go."

Annabel nodded. "Okay, thanks for showing me that dining hall, it was delicious."

"No problem, goodnight, Annabel."

"Night!" Annabel turned away, making her way towards the door to the stairwell.

Annabel failed to understand what Mason could be doing at such an hour. Where would he be going? Was he going to those parties that people speak about on college campuses?

She trotted up the stairs, the thoughts spiraling within her head, finally arriving at the hallway, and then, at the door of her room.

Annabel opened the door to her room, and was met with a flush of cold air. Her dorm was freezing! She had a thermostat that she could control, but she hadn't thought to check it when she had arrived to the dorm initially, which was a mistake, apparently.

Her body shivered in response to the frigid temperature as she approached the thermostat, the heat kicking on soon after she adjusted it.
She knew her normal shorts and large t-shirt would not cut it for the night, and she opted for a sweatshirt, sweatpants, and socks.

Normally, Annabel does not sleep in any of those items. She reserves them strictly for when she's extremely cold, or sad. The heaviness of the fabric on top of her provides a comfort like nothing else.

She changed into her attire for the night, and made her way to the light switch in the room to turn down the lights. After doing so, she climbed into bed, laying her head down, and drifting off into sleep.

Annabel's dreams that night consisted of a man with dark, curly hair, and brown eyes that gleamed under the light.

˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗

(749 words)

SOTC: Body by Briston Maroney

I apologize for how short this chapter is, it's acting as a filler chapter before ANNABEL'S FIRST DAY OF CLASSES BUH BUH BUHHHHH

I'm nervous

All my love,
Madi