05 | Cold

˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗

Annabel's eyes began to fill with tears, she knew she was more than likely in trouble. She didn't want to be mean and ignore Mason! She wondered what the consequences would be, would she be sent to detention like the kids in movies? Her homeschooled background offered her little to no idea of what the future held for her.

She waited for the students to flood out of the lecture hall and made her way up to the front, where the kind man stood.

Dr. Abbott crossed his arms in front of him, showing her a small smile. This relaxed her a bit.

"So, what did you think of your first lecture?" He asked, with genuine interest.

She blinked away the tears that were at bay before speaking. "I loved it, I think I'm really g-going to like this class."

"Do you stutter when you're nervous? I'm not trying to pry, I've just noticed it a bit. Like when we bumped into each other in that dining hall, and now."

Annabel looked down bashfully, red flooding her cheeks due to her embarrassment.

"Uh, yes, sir. It's not something I can really control," she said, staring down at her black converse.

"Oh, please don't feel bad Annabel, we all have little quirks and things of that sort that make us unique. It was simply an observation, I promise," the professor replied, trying to comfort the small girl.

She looked up at him, finally, meeting those brown eyes. They pooled with interest, something she hasn't experienced before, but she picked up on immediately.

"You are probably wondering why I asked you to stay back. In college, oftentimes when professors are looking for TA's, teaching assistants, we will submit announcements to all of the academic advisors, and there are times, not often, when the advisors will recommend students based on their previous success in certain classes relating to the course, or sometimes even just their outstanding character. Your advisor, Teresa, recommended you in regards to both. You are excelling in psychology courses, and you have practically all of high school. What high school did you go to?"

"Erm, I was homeschooled," she said, feeling, yet again, embarrassed. There's so many smarter students he could have chosen, she wondered why he decided upon her.

"Really now? Hm, you must be quite intelligent Annabel."

She laughed nervously.

"So, I would like to have you as my teaching assistant, if you're willing. You can have some time to think about it, but I believe you would do exceedingly well. May I ask though, how come you aren't majoring in Psychology? You have so many credits under your belt, you could easily graduate early."

"I-I um, I just prefer chemistry, I guess," she replied, her stutter coming out once again. "What would the teaching assistant position look like for me? I mean, I'm already taking 18 credit hours, I don't want to burn myself out."

"Good g-," he stopped himself. "I appreciate your concern for yourself, but it would only be however much you can take. It would be grading papers, helping students with assignments, creating answer keys, things of that sort."

"Ca-can I think about it, just a little? I want to make sure I can do it before committing."

"Of course, Annabel. If you could just let me know by class on Friday, that would be appreciated."

The girl nodded in response, a small smile appearing on her face.

"So, how are you liking Washington?" Dr. Abbott asked.

"It's alright, it's been pretty cold, I've found. My dorm was freezing last night, I couldn't sleep much," Annabel commented.

"Well, in that case, I'm proud of you for being so attentive in class today, it's very much appreciated. How is Maryland in comparison to this?"

Annabel was surprised at the idea of him remembering where she was from, she didn't think he was actually paying attention. "About the same, to be frank. Rainy, cold, breezy, all of that. What is Kel-Kelms..." she failed to remember the name of his hometown.

"Kelmscott," he said, hoping not to come off rude, "The same as well! Cold, dreary, to be honest."

"It's not the greatest of weather, is it? My mom always used to keep the heat so high in the winter, but I was still freezing constantly. Nothing ever really helped," Annabel recalled.

"Is Mum back in Maryland?" Dr. Abbott asked.

"Mhm, she lives back in the country side. My father travels a lot for work, so it's just her and the maids. How about you, is your family in America?"

"I-erm, no. I'm here alone. My mum lives back in Kelmscott with my little brother."

"Your dad?"

"Not around," he replied coldly.

Annabel nearly flinched from the sudden change in tone, maybe it was a sore subject. She decided to drop it.

"Well, I ought to head to my next class. I'll let you know about the teaching assistant position, but, thank you so much for the opportunity, sir. I really appreciate your kindness that you have shown to me," Annabel said, gratitude flooding her voice.

"Of course, it's my pleasure. Have a good day, if you need anything at all, I'll be here," Dr. Abbott replied, smiling down at the small girl.

She smiled back, teeth nearly showing from between her lips.

She hoped all of her professors were this kind.

˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗

(977 words)

SOTC: Happy Adjacent by Cece Coakley

Heyyyyyyy.... How y'all doing?

You guys hated on me soooo hard the last time for including so many pet names in their office conversation, and for her to explain her whole life story all at once, so I did a nice little change of pace.

I got some plans for this book... get excited.....

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!

All my love,
Mads