The Dance

In the mirror, I stared at myself with wonder; there I was, wearing my emerald green sparkly dress with a haltered neckline. To complete the look, I wore one of my signature bows.
It was time for my first high school dance with my crush!
"Julia, Jack is here!" Mom called from downstairs. "Coming!" I called back as I grabbed my silver purse and put on my silver flats. I couldn't walk in heeled shoes well, so flat shoes were my best bet. I also grabbed the green boutonnière that Mom and I picked up from the flower shop the day before.
I made my way downstairs for my dream come true.
Jack was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs. He wore a black tuxedo with an emerald green vest and tie. His blond hair was slicked back, and he was clean-shaven. I hadn't seen him without a beard before.
He was smiling at me, "Hey, Jules." "Hello," I replied politely, but I was nervous. "You look gorgeous," he complimented. My heart was beating rapidly. My crush said I looked beautiful!
"Thank you, you look very handsome," I surprised myself with my boldness. I didn't know where this sudden burst of confidence came from, but I greatly liked it. "Thank you," Jack smiled kindly. He was always so lovely to me. There was a warm and inviting energy radiating between us. I didn't know what it was: Was it love? Was it just happy energy since I was going on my first-ever date? Whatever it was, it was an exhilarating experience. We gazed at each other for a while but then returned to the present.

"Oh, I have this for you," Jack had a white rose corsage with silvery green leaves for me. "Thank you, I have something for you too," I held up the green boutonnière with white roses. Jack slipped the corsage around my wrist, which fit like a glove. Mom and I had gotten a boutonnière with a magnet on it because I didn't want to risk stabbing Jack or myself with the pin. We exchanged the boutonnière and the corsage.
"Let's take some pictures!" Mom had the family camera armed at the ready.
Jack and I posed by the front door of the house. He put his arm around me and I put my arm on his back by his shoulder. 
The camera flashed and I savored the moment. The only thing that made me sad was my father not being there. I was going to my first high school dance and he couldn't be bothered to see me off with the rest of the family. He said he had more important things to do. Several days earlier, Mom and he had an intense argument about that.
"Why doesn't he love us?" Sara asked me that night. "I don't know, I don't know what we did to make him hate us," I said. "I wish he was here more," I said sadly. "It's like he doesn't even care." Sara just nodded in agreement. "I know," she said softly. "I miss him too."

The homecoming dance was buzzing with excitement. Couples were swaying to the music, friends were chatting at the tables, and everyone was having a great time. The decorations were dazzling, the food was delicious, and the DJ was playing all the newest hits. It was the perfect night to just let loose and have a good time. We met up with Rachel and her date, Ryan, who was in our theatre class with us.
"Julia! You look beautiful!" My best friend rushed toward me with a hug. "Thanks, so do you!" I hugged my friend back. Rachel was wearing a purple strapless dress Her curly hair was elegantly styled, cascading down her shoulders. I couldn't help but admire her impeccable sense of style. As we exchanged compliments, Ryan chimed in, "You both look stunning tonight, ladies." he was always a ladies man. He flirted with everyone, but he seemed to have a specific interest in Rachel.
I felt my heart flutter as I stepped closer to Jack and our bodies touched. His arms felt strong and secure as he wrapped them around me and we began to sway. I could feel my face flush as he looked into my eyes and I felt a connection I had never experienced before. We moved together in perfect harmony, our bodies in sync as if we were one. The music faded away and all I could hear was the sound of our beating hearts.