What Lies Ahead

Season 2, Episode: 01

Dale was now driving and stopped at a highway to see cars blocking the way. "Problem Dale?" Shane asked, "Oh, just a small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere, with no hope of- Okay, that was dumb."  "Can't find a radiator hose here." Shane said. "There's a whole bunch of stuff we can find." Daryl says and we got out of the RV. "Come on y'all. Look around, gather what you can." Shane says. "What are you gonna search for?" Max asked me. "Clothes, anything really. You?" I asked as I searched the cars. "Weapons, food. Starving." He says and I smile. I saw that there were suitcases of clothes and I was about to grab them but then saw a walker.

"Max!" I whispered yelled and he turned to me, we then saw a whole bunch of walkers coming our way. "Under the car!" He says and I quickly go under. "I'll distract them. Stay there!" He says and I shake my head. "I'll be okay! Stay there!" He says and takes out his knife. "Hey asshole! Follow me!" He yells and a walker follows him. I cover my mouth as I tried to stay calm. I then saw the walkers pass by, i then heard Max yell and my eyes widen out of fear. The walkers passed and I quickly got out, "Max? Where are you?!" I whispered yelled, I saw him sat down with a dead walker next to him.

"I'm fine.." he says and I hugged him tightly. "I'm sorry that I scared you.." he softly said as he hugged back. We walked back to the group and saw Carol sobbing, "Y/N!" She ran to me and hugged me, "What's going on?" I asked as I hugged back. "My Sophia! a-a walker chased after her into the woods!" She sobbed and my heart broke. I held her tightly, "Rick and Daryl went to find her." Lori says. "Yo Max, give me a hand?" Glenn says, Max goes towards him but I saw him grabbed his waist, making me worried. They start moving cars that blocked our path. "Why aren't we all out there looking? Why are we moving cars?" Carol upsetly asked. "We have to clear enough room so I can get the R.V. turned around as soon as it's running. Now that we have fuel we can double back to a bypass that Glenn flagged on the map." Dale explained to her.

"Going back's going to be easier than trying to get through this mess." Shane says, "We're not going anywhere till my daughter gets back." Carol argued, "Rick and Daryl, they're on it, okay? Just a matter of time."  "Can't be soon enough for me. I'm still freaked out from that herd that passed us by, or whatever you'd call it." Andrea says, "Yeah, what was that? All of them just marching along like that." Glenn asked. "A herd. That sounds about right. We've seen it. It's like the night camp got attacked. Some wandering pack, only fewer. Okay. Come on, people. We still got a lot to do. Let's stay on it. Let's go, come on." Shane says.

"They'll find Sophia, she's a smart girl." I reassured her. "I hope so...My poor Sophia.." Carol said as she leaned to me and I held her, the sun started to slowly set. "It's getting late.." she mumbled, "Oh God, they're back!" Glenn said and Carol quickly went towards Rick. "You didn't find her?"  "Her trail went cold. We'll pick it up again at first light."   "You can't leave my daughter out there on her own to spend the night alone in the woods." Carol argues. "Out in the dark's no good. We'd just be tripping over ourselves. More people get lost" Daryl says. "But she's 12. She can't be out there on her own. You didn't find anything?" Carol stressed about Sophia and her being alone.

"My little girl got left in the woods." she continued and I rubbed her back, "Everybody takes a weapon." Rick says as he handed us knives, "These aren't the kind of weapon we need. What about the gun?" Andrea asked, "We've been over that. Daryl, Rick and I are carrying. We can't have people popping off rounds every time a tree rustles." Shane says, "The idea is to take the creek up about five miles, turn around and come back down the other side. Chances are she'll be by the creek. It's her only landmark." Daryl says, most of the group went towards the forest while Dale stayed with T-Dog to fix the RV. We kept walking and spotted a tent, "She could be in there." I said, "Carol. Call out softly. If she's in there, yours is the first voice she should hear." Rick told Carol and she nods. " Sophia, sweetie, are you in there? Sophia, it's mommy. Sophia. We're all here, baby. It's mommy." Carol says as Daryl went in the tent, " Daryl? Daryl?" She asked and he came out, "It ain't her. What's in there? Some guy. Did what Jenner said. Opted out. Ain't that what he called it?" Daryl says.

We then heard church bells ring in the distance and we run towards the sound. We cautiously went inside and the guys killed the walkers, "Sophia!" I yelled and no response, "She's not in here." Max says as we walked back outside. "I'm gonna go back in for a bit." Carol whispered to me and I nod. Max winced as he held his waist, "Hey, are you okay?" I asked, "Y--yeah...just hit myself when I was distracting the walkers." He said as he smiled. "I can check it out, let me just lo--" I said as I got close to him and he stopped me. "Im fine!" He slightly yelled and I looked at him. "Im fine...its just a bruise." He says as he kissed my cheek, I nod but looked at him worriedly.

"Ahem. Y'all gonna follow the Creek Bed back, okay? Daryl, you're in charge. Me and Rick, we're just gonna hang back, search this area another hour or so just to be thorough." Shane said. "You're splitting us up. You sure?" Daryl asked. "Yeah, we'll catch up to you." Shane says, Carl insisted in going and Lori let him. Carol came back and we made our way back into the highway, "So this is it? This the whole plan?" Carol asked, "I guess the plan is to whittle us down into smaller and smaller groups." Daryl says. "Im sure they have their reasons." I said, "A shitty reason.Carrying knives and pointy sticks. I see you have a gun." Andrea turns to Lori.

Lori rolls her eyes, "Why, you want it? Here, take it. I'm sick of the looks you're giving me" and hands her the gun, "Honey, I can't imagine what you're going through. And I would do anything to stop it. But you have got to stop blaming Rick. It is in your face every time you look at him. When Sophia ran he didn't hesitate, did he? Not for a second. I don't know that any of us would have gone after her the way he did or made the hard decisions that he had to make or that anybody could have done it any differently. Anybody? Y'all look to him and then you blame him when he's not perfect. If you think you can do this without him, go right ahead. Nobody is stopping you." Lori tells Carol, we all looked at her and Andrea hands her the gun back. "We should keep moving."