04 | apologies

Angeline:

Angeline:

Wednesday afternoon, I picked up Luke from school and we headed straight home. Today, Kaizen and I planned to get the lab report done together at my house, so I had Luke stay upstairs.

It was around 5 o'clock, our meet-up time, and he wasn't here yet. I decided not to worry since he was probably just running late. I wasn't sure what his after-school schedule was, so I didn't have a clue where he was.

My right leg bounces up and down anxiously as I wait at the dining table with my laptop open. I skim over the outline again just to kill time. Before I know it, it's been 54 minutes and he's still not here.

What the fuck. Did he forget or something? I didn't have Kaizen's phone number so I can't text or call him to ask where he is.

As I sit here, I can feel myself starting to get agitated more and more. Out of frustration, I impulsively decided to start on the report by myself because it didn't seem like Kaizen was going to be here any time soon. Actually, I don't even know if he was even planning on coming today.

He's an hour late and he hasn't bothered to reach out. He completely ditched me. Thinking about it only makes me type on my keyboard aggressively and I don't even notice.

With a huff, I pull my chair back and before I know it, I walk out of the house and make my way over to the Gryans.

I march up their front porch and knock twice before stepping back, waiting for a response. From inside, I can hear footsteps approaching the door and loud barking— Arlo.

The door suddenly swings open and behind it reveals Lucy who was in a tank top and sweats. She had her phone in one hand and a popsicle in the other.

"Oh, hi Angeline."

"Hey Lu. Sorry to bother but is Kaizen home?" I say, quite out of breath.

She blinks at me.

"Kaizen?" She sounds surprised.

"Yeah. We were supposed to work on a lab report at my house but he hasn't shown." I scratch the back of my neck.

"He's not home right now. I'm pretty sure he's out."

"Like right now?" More questions start to form in my head as my eyebrows furrow with disbelief.

"Pretty sure," she glances at her phone. "Right here, he texted me." Lucy then displays her screen in front of me, revealing text messages from Kaizen himself.