Chapter 3: Im Not Good At Making Promises

Louis was in the toilets, light on, and the door barely shut. Harry was outside, his back against the wall and trying not to fully break down. He was doing everything he could to listen to Louis, and give him space. But when he heard the sound if a thud he opened the door abruptly and ran over to the love of his life, slowly lifting him in his arms and rubbing his shoulder.

Louis just mumbled a soft "I'm okay." but Harry knew better, the way Louis looked so pale and the habit of constantly getting ill nowadays... It worried the lad to no end.

Truthfully Harry knew Louis was trying to be substantial for not only him but the lad himself. It always seemed as if Harry was the one comforting the other. No one ever saw him break down into his pillow at night away from eyes who would probably judge him for all that he was worth.

"You feel a little better?" Harry asked rubbing Louis's back. The lad had been vomiting on and off for the past few hours now and weakness was inevitable, but he honestly didn't feel nauseous now.

"I'm okay now." The blue eyed man spoke, his voice shaky to the point that had Harry cautious. "Wanna go back to bed 'arry."

And how was Harry to refuse Louis's wishes? He couldn't, and that was the truth.

It was a week later and Louis was sleeping in his bed at home. His mum had checked on him a few times before going to bed, and now Harry was laying beneath him.

He always allowed the lad to feel the comfort and love, not sure when the inevitable would occur. It always made him tear up to think Louis had a very short time to live before they had to say goodbye.

Harry sighs unevenly as tears cascade down his face. He adored the man before him. Without his hair, without his strength, without the words he longed to say.

None of it would make sense to anyone else, but he was in love and he always would be. There was no one else.

"I'm sorry Louis..." Harry whispered, crying against the lad's shoulder. "I couldn't do it... Could I?" he asked tiresome, from the days previously. "I'm suppose to protect you... And love you... And be the one to love you... F-forever." he sobs, holding Louis as close as he can to his own heart.

" 'arry... What's wrong?" his voice was full of slumber, and he lightly sat up. "You're.... Crying love."

It was over at that point and time. Harry was shaking, and sobbing uncontrollably. "You can't... Just... Leave me Louis. I need you... You're like oxygen. I can't breathe when you're away." Harry hiccups into the open air.

Louis smiles sadly. His blue eyes glowing in the moonlight. And he barely cupped Harrys face. "You're so strong Harry... And I'm so proud of you... Not just for being here with me through my journey... But also because you never one decided to give up on me."

Of course Harry wouldn't. He couldn't. He was so infatuated and in love and adored Louis more than any human on earth. It was the blue eyes. It was the late night talks. It was the moments where they fought over stupid things and had make up sex after.

It was the knowing. It was living life with his best friend and lover. It was going through things together or not going at all.

He sniffles hard and let out a "Love you." before kissing his face. And everything hurt but everything felt so right at the same time.

Louis leans against his chest, tracing circles across the skin. "After all this time... You're still the one I love." Louis whispered, running his delicate fingers through Harry's curls. And he felt so content just being with his green-eyed boyfriend. "

It's as if time was irrelevant. When Louis was with Harry, time stilled and all was calm. He knew... That it was all a matter of when he would go but he tried not to think about it too much.

Louis smiled as the two were watching The Notebook for what felt like the 4th time just that week. But it made the lad happy and that's all that mattered. Harry took his hand and kissed along his palm. "I... I don't know how to ask... But..." Harry bit his lip softly, feeling nervous.

"You're getting horny babe?" Louis chuckled, laughing a little. He was groggy, but fine nonetheless. His dizziness somehow had subsided as well as the nausea. And maybe Harry thought that was a good sign.

Louis did too, but not enough to be certain. He had lost his appetite and didn't have any movement for several days now, which was actually more concerning.

What was it about love that could make a person hold on for so long? Sometimes love made Louis feel safe, but other times he felt anxious. He feared losing the love of his life, whether it be natural causes or accidental. The fear remained.

        "We're gonna be alright, yeah?" Harry says finally, his head resting on Louis's shoulder.  "I know we will Lou... Even if things...  Don't work out like we imagined."

Louis, feeling dazed, only nods his head. I'm sorry Haz...  I wanted to be your superman... I wanted to be strong for you, for us."

Harry took Louis's hand and smiled with a slight blushed. "You're the strongest person I know love."

Louis sighs in content. "I think you're the only person who thinks that Haz." Louis spoke, in an almost withered tone. His eyes lightly closing, and he felt tired now.

The thought of Harry being horny was long gone now. Truthfully watching Louis sleep seemed more - in harmony and more fondness truly was felt in the moment.  He barely touched Louis's cheek and smiled only a little. His eyes glossy from holding back tears. "I love you Lou, always have, always will. "

What was to change that? Harry could only think to himself. And that's when he decided to make a promise.

      "If there comes a time... When I have to let you go... And move on... I will. "

He spoke this fearing the worst would happen it seemed anytime now. It wouldn't he thought to himself and he tasted the saline of his tears as they rolled down his cheeks. 

        "I'm not good at making promises... But this one, I will try to keep. Always Lou."

Thank you for reading yet another one of my chapters you are all amazing!! Looking forward to writing more 💙💜