~5~

Note: Decided to split the 12k word chapter up bc it was getting a bit overwhelming to edit XD

The days flew by like wind on a cool spring day. Mitsuri and I would sit and have conversations, random gossip she'd heard, or we would talk about who we think is cute. To be honest, I'm glad to have met her so early on. She makes this whole thing less daunting and offers a good distraction. I don't feel as alone. I enjoy her presence. I truly do enjoy it. We also trade new snacks we find! She's definitely good at recommending the best food for whatever sort of craving one may happen to find themselves with. I've gotten a few more complete sentences from Giyu, which is a success considering how reserved he is. Rengoku and I talk often, and I've taken quite a liking to his company. I don't feel awkward around him, and he offers tips if he catches me training on my own. I'm glad to have a friend like him! Ah, and I did some talking with Shinobu, mainly interested in their poison. I commend how smart she is. I mean, in the anime and manga it was pretty obvious how intelligent she was, but really talking to her as she drags on and on about her work is something else. I don't think she gets to talk about her interests a lot considering the way she seemed genuinely excited to share the details. I asked if I could also use said poison, and she was happy to assist, teaching me how to apply it to my weapons.

I mainly wanted it for Akaza, a way to interfere with his healing in some way. Yet, I also wanted the precaution in case I did end up unable to get through a demon's throat with ease. A weakened demon is better than one at its full strength. I talked here and there to the trio, but I had started to notice the slow completion of their training.

Can't say I'm not nervous, it should be any day now.

As if that was not me cursing my own fate, a crow circled me as I hit a training dummy with my sword. "Mission! Mission!" Well dang, I'm actually invited? Here I was thinking I'd need to sneak in. I sheath the weapon and then hold out my arm. The crow lands and tells me the specifications of the mission. I'm meeting up with three more experienced demon slayers and a hashira. I already know that means the trio and Rengoku. I'm excited to see his skills, flame breathing looked truly amazing on the screen. I wonder how Akaza will look. Attractive or horrific, maybe a little of both? I let the crow fly off as I headed out to the mission.

I end up meeting up with the trio on the train. I'd hoped to get here early to see Rengoku take down that demon from before he boarded the train. I wonder if he'll share the food he got from that, since I missed it.

I wave running up to the group. Tanjiro was hardly holding back Inosuke and dragging him along. Awe, I missed the people shouting about their swords. "Oh, Y/n! So you're the fifth, I wonder which hashira is coming along." Tanjiro waves with his free hand as he continues pulling Inosuke along. I walk up and lightly hit Inosuke over the head with the closed fan. I'm thankful for the fans, since they aren't a danger when shut, I can hit people with them! I hear a grumbled, fight me woman, and laugh to myself.

"Stop being such a hassle for Tanjiro." I wonder if he's glaring under that mask, he must be. Considering the grumbles beneath his breath, which I fail to catch. He does however start stomping after the group, only turning his head to the train here and there. "It's not a monster idiot, it's a train. It gets you from one place to another quickly." Though this train is about to become a demon. Guess it is a monster, just not exactly right now. I follow them into the train with a small smile on my lips. Each time Tanjiro needs to apprehend one of the trio, I can't help but laugh. They're like siblings... I pause, my expression softening. Like... a found family.

"Something wrong Y/n?" I jolt at Tanjiro's comment and shake my head. He's always perceptive, and careful about caring for others.

I reach out to mess with his hair as we keep moving. "No, just thinking about how close you three are." They pause and look between each other before they all smile. Well, I can't tell if Inosuke did, but I assume so.