Chapter 7

The days were starting to shorten. Jinyoung had watched with sadness how the first leaf had fallen to the ground. Soon the wind carried many of them through the air, dropping them around the forest like blossom pedals in spring. Fortunately the warm weather had proven to be resilient and simply refused to make way for the dreaded autumn wind and rains.

And so Jinyoung carried on spending most of his time outside. He'd made himself a little work station out on the grass where he sat almost every day practicing his weaving. Jinyoung didn't wanna brag, but his mats were now almost completely square. He just loved the repetitive motion of curving the straw around each other and creating an even pattern. The rather simple activity brought him a great feeling of calm and gave him a sense of control.

Jaebum in the meantime was busying himself chopping wood for the oncoming winter. The stack at the side of the hut was already rather large but the man had assured Jinyoung it wasn't nearly enough. And so he watched as Jaebum carried large pieces of wood to his chopping block. Flexing his muscles as he raised the axe high above his head, to then let gravity assist him as he swung the heavy blade down onto the piece of wood, splicing it into two. As he worked the repetitive the sound of metal meeting wood filled the quiet clearing.

Soon enough Jinyoung had forgotten all about his weaving and eyed the man closely. The physically taxing work had covered Jaebum's body in a layer of sweat, sometimes causing droplets to run down his face. As he worked, a cloud drifted away and let the late summer sun beat down on his skin unforgiving. Eventually the heat became too much to bear and Jaebum peeled off his drenched shirt and threw it to the ground. Jinyoung's eyes grew large as he took in the man's bare muscular torso and arms. A voice inside his head told him to look away, but he didn't. Even as he felt his cheeks warm up, Jinyoung's eyes stayed glued to Jaebum's impressive physic.

Ever since that day in the cave, Jinyoung had felt a undeniable attraction toward the other man. He knew Jaebum looked at him too, but so far he had reserved outing his interest to a limited range of interaction. Like touching Jinyoung's lower back when he needed to move past him, stroking the back of his head when he was falling asleep, and sometimes a peck on the cheek if he was feeling brave. It was as if the man wasn't sure what he wanted yet. It left Jinyoung feeling frustrated. A feeling he wasn't yet ready to express either. Because despite the frustration, everytime Jaebum did choose to touch him, Jinyoung's heart beat so fast in his chest, it felt like he could pass out.

So he'd resorted to staring at Jaebum like he was doing that very afternoon. Jinyoung argued that watching the way sweat dripped from Jaebum's broad chest, past his well defined abs and into his pants, was better than nothing. Only when Jaebum looked up did Jinyoung look away, suddenly seeming very interested in a tree further up ahead.

A week passed and it was becoming clear that autumn had finally won the battle, and summer was gone. The once so green and luscious forest ground had become covered in a blanket of leaves painted in all shades of brown, yellow and red. They crunched beneath their feet as Jaebum and him scowered the ground for nuts. They had to work fast in order to beat the many squirrels that were also preparing for winter. The humid summer air had drifted away and made way for a chilly breeze that cut through Jinyoung's clothes. Jaebum had given him a scarf made from soft fox fur to protect against the cold. He'd watched fondly as the younger boy had elegantly draped it around his neck. They way the golden hairs had framed his face had reminded Jaebum of the sun.

As Jinyoung scowered beneath the thick layer of leaves he couldn't help but keep an eye out for any flowers. Most had withered away by now but he hadn't give up hope on finding some late bloomers.

"My bag is full." Jaebum announced from a little further up ahead. "I'll quickly go and drop it off at home and pick up a new one."

"Mmm." Jinyoung responded, his attention on a particularly pretty red leaf he'd spotted.