9. Suit Jackets

Avery's POV

It was late past midnight when I pried open the large double doors that sat at the front of the mansion. It was a colder night than usual and all I had to keep me warm was a thin jumper that I had found at the back of the closet.

After the confrontation with the bar girls earlier, I found comfort in my little bedroom. I had even skipped dinner, telling Zo that I wasn't hungry when she stopped by. She hadn't seen the bruise that stained my jaw. I  had made sure to keep my face burrowed underneath the blankets the whole time.

Because of the incident last night, I was told I didn't need to return to the bar anymore, they were going to find a new job for me to do around here.

I'd save them the trouble and just remove myself quietly from the picture.

The door shut quietly behind me as I turned to face the familiar cold night air. My eyes searched for the stars, like it always did. Tonight was a beautiful night to go home.

To my luck, there were only two large male figures standing outside, cigars in hand. Their backs were turned from me as they chatted away quietly. I waited behind one of the stone marble figures that stood on the side of the front porch, perfectly hidden from view.

I watched as they started to walk away, their backs still facing me as they slowly disappeared from my sight.

It was only when they were completely out of my view when I got out of my spot and began sprinting towards the large gates that barricaded the entire property.

My heart thumped heavily against my chest as I ran, the little rocks crunching loudly beneath me.

I could start to see the faint outline of the road outside of the gates when I heard heavy footsteps running behind me.

"OI! OI" I picked up my pace, too afraid to look behind me as the footsteps gradually became louder and louder. "Stop right now or I'll shoot!"

"One more step I dare you!" Another voice yelled out.

Immediately my footsteps halted and my hands flew up in defence. I eyed the gate sadly, my back still facing the men behind me. I was so close.

So so close.

"Turn around NOW!!" Slowly, I turned around to face them, my hands still trembling in the air as my chest heaved up and down from all the running.

Just like I had thought, there was a group of men, all dressed in dark suits, with guns in their hands, all aiming at me.

"Avery?" Luca's familiar voice cut through the crowd, "Guns down! She's a worker here!"

Thank fudge brownies.

Luca's tall frame appeared from the group of men, who had now lowered their guns confusedly. He strolled past them and came face to face with me. He placed his hands on my shoulders and bent down to look at me with wide worried eyes.

"Fuck Avery we could have killed you!" He turned me side to side, inspecting me quickly, "Are you hurt? Please for my sake tell me you're not hurt!"

"I'm okay," I smiled softly, my heart still pounding against my chest, "I promise."

"What were you doing out here anyways? It's so late." He finally let go of me and stood back to his full height making me tilt my head to look up at him.

"She was trying to run away." Dante appeared beside him suddenly. He placed his gun back into the safety of his back pocket as he looked at me with a small smile.

I watched as he turned around and nodded his head towards the men, dismissing them, before turning his attention back towards me.

"Is that what you were really doing?" Luca replied. Even in the darkness I could see the disbelief that was written on his face.