PROLOGUE

Moving forward was something you struggled with, especially after meeting the charming Jake Seresin. The moment you met him, you knew it was true love. You not only wanted him, but it was clear as day that he wanted you too. It started off with you catching his chestnut eyes fixated on you from across the room in your favorite place. The Hard Deck.

It swiftly went from catching him gazing at you to gaining the courage to approach you and ask you out. You played hard to get, and he played that game with such ease. He won. It was instant from there. The first date went wonderfully and you both not only expressed your love for each other, but ended the night with a beautiful kiss.

He was hooked and so were you. One month of constant laughs, tears, and intimacy created a delightful relationship. Well, as you've been taught growing up, all good things must come to an end. You went into the relationship not expecting it to end, but it seemed that Jake had other thoughts.

You had to admit, communication was something that your relationship lacked. Mainly because there would be days when you two would be at The Hard Deck and other women would be gawking at your boyfriend. Of course, you had full trust in Jake. You knew he loved you and he knew you loved him.

The hard part wasn't having the women spotlight Jake, but it was when men aimed their attention at you. Jake got jealous real quick. He got protective which would often lead to his egotistical attitude to create unnecessary drama.

There were some nights where you would fall asleep in his arms, but no words to say to him. You thought if you didn't mention it, Jake wouldn't explode like he typically did. Sometimes you had to convince yourself that your relationship wasn't perfect, but there was always that one part of you that wished it stayed as perfect as it could be.

The day after your one-month anniversary, you woke up with no sign of Jake Seresin. No goodbye. No note. Nothing. He had left you. You knew his call sign was Hangman, but you never expected that you would be the victim of being hung out to dry. Days and days went by full of tears, screaming, pain, agony, and feelings of complete betrayal.

Everything that reminded you of Jake, you either burned it or threw it out. Jake clearly was done with you, so you were done with him. Your rose glasses were off and your heart was locked. You were done with love. You hated to love. You felt mocked after your quote unquote break-up because you would see couples everywhere you went.

You saw it as a tender mercy to show you what you could have. It was odd. Jake made you love being in love. He was as magical as it could get in a romance film. It made sense as to why you felt like your whole entire world burnt down and got destroyed because that's what Jake was to you. He was your whole world and when he left, your whole world fell apart.

Dates came easy after your confidence was rebuilt. Men saw your seeking of love and craved it. You stole hearts left and right. It was a great distraction from all the heartbreak. You learned that it was better to leave before you got left. You never wanted to experience that ever again.

After a while of living your best life, a good friend of yours, Pete Mitchell, invited you to an activity. You asked him what the activity was going to be, but he claimed that he wasn't going to reveal it unless you showed up. You took that as more of an order for you to attend rather than an invitation.

The meeting place was going to be The Hard Deck. Once you heard that The Hard Deck was the meeting place, you hesitated. You've had way too many good memories created there, especially memories with Jake Seresin. You tried to brush away those thoughts as you parked your car.

You hadn't seen Jake in a year. It was plenty of time to move on. You didn't love him anymore. You were over him. Plus, there was no way that he would have known Pete. You shook out those silly thoughts as you entered the building. The moment you walked in, you were immediately engulfed by the arms of Pete Mitchell.

"[Y/N]!!!" Pete shouted, unknowingly crushing your body as he hugged you even tighter. You had to repeatedly hit him to get the point across that he was hugging too tight. He released the hug, but kept his hands on your shoulders, piercing his eyes into yours. "You've grown so much."

You smirked. "It's been a while Pete."

Pete smiled and then perked up as if he remembered something. He started patting all around his outfit and took out a slip of paper. He handed you the piece of paper.

"This number is going to be the car you'll be driving in." Pete instructed. You unfolded the paper. The number was seven. You looked back up at Pete who was smiling widely. "I'm excited."

Pete didn't say another word and left to continue handing out pieces of paper to others.

"As I live and breath," An all too familiar voice said from behind you. His voice echoed through your mind, as well as a thousand memories that were re-discovered from a simple voice. "[Y/N]?'

You slowly turned around, only to meet the gorgeous golden eyes of the man who stole your heart, broke your heart, and stomped on it multiple times. Jake Seresin.

"You've got to be shittin' me," You muttered. As you lowered your gaze from him, your eyes caught hold of the piece of paper he was holding. The number was crystal clear to your vision. Your heart dropped as you saw that his number was identical to your number. A small chuckle released from your lips. "I hate my life."