Chapter 62

Sade POV:

I was happy to see her, of course. I don't think there will ever be a time where I wouldn't be, no matter if I was upset at her or not. Together or broken up, seeing her would always brighten my day, even just for a second.

And though my first instinct was to immediately pull her into an embrace and ask how she was doing, I had to know my place and have some restraint.

"Lauren, what're you doing here?" I asked softly instead.

Tucking her bottom lip between her teeth, Lauren let her head fall as she played with her fingers. She let out a small breath before picking her head back up to peer into my eyes warily.

"Can I come in?"

Realizing she was still outside my front door, I immediately stepped back while shaking my head.

"Yeah, of course. I'm sorry-"

"No, it's alright," she fairly smiled, walking in.

Assuming she'd follow, I made my way to the kitchen. I'd have turned on the main light, but figuring the night light from the stove was enough, I left it alone. Although that probably wasn't the best idea given the second I turned to face Lauren, the lighting in here made her look extremely alluring. Even more than usual.

Looking around the room to recompose, I found myself standing on the other side of the island, near the kitchen area, while she stood across it, beside the high chairs.

We glanced at each other for a brief moment before Lauren's eyes absentmindedly wandered my apartment.

"I don't know if I ever told you, but I absolutely love you place," she said. "I'll have to pick your brain for interior design advice for my house..."

"Thank you," I said simply. Then, silence creeped in as her eyes continued to wander and refused to meet mine. After too long, I couldn't take it anymore. "Lauren, why're you her-"

"I've missed you Sade."

Hazel eyes were now gazing deeply into my own, halting my question along with her words. Intensity was well within her tone, which left me at a loss for a response. It seems she knew I needed a follow up from that, so she continued,

"I needed to see you," she said, before looking down for a second. "I leave tomorrow and..." Inching closer to me, she stopped just at the edge of the counter, nearly coming to my side. "And I needed to see you, Sade," Lauren added intently, looking into my eyes again.

It was like she'd backed me into a corner and put her hand against the locker behind me. I felt heat arising beneath my skin and my cheeks warming. But again, have some restraint Sade.

"What're you trying to say Lauren?" I asked her, just barely above a whisper.

Letting the eye contact linger a bit before letting her head slowly fall again, she sighed.

"Do you know, that ever since seeing you at that restaurant in Tampa, I haven't been able to get you out of my head? And that everytime I look at you or you look at me, I feel like I'm on cloud nine?" Her questions were genuine, but rhetorical as if she herself wondered the same. Standing here and simply listening with a creased brow, I let her go on. Lauren then looked away from my gaze and shook her head for a moment, chuckling dryly. "Seven years, and here I am engaged... yet two seconds after laying eyes on you again, and I... I can't get you out of my head-" she looked at me again, shaking her head. "And you have no idea how long it took to get you out of my head, Sade."

Wanting to say, 'I promise I do,' I tilted my head with emotion, hoping my gaze told it all. It always did.

Suddenly, again, I found myself barely inches from her. My hand had ever so slightly slid against the counter, then snuck on top of Lauren's, and she didn't withdraw hers from under it. Her head was hanging, as if she were in thought. And without thinking, I took the curve of my finger under her chin, lifting it slowly to where she met my eyes, reluctantly. That hand found itself cupping her cheek, while the other was now locked with hers, our fingers interlaced.