𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬

╰─▸𝐘/𝐍 𝐌𝐜𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐞𝐦𝐮𝐬 𝐋𝐮𝐩𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬

╰─▸𝐘/𝐍 𝐌𝐜𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐑𝐞𝐦𝐮𝐬 𝐋𝐮𝐩𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬. 𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐥. 𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐚 𝐖𝐢𝐳𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐖𝐚𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭.

"What's a soulmate?"

"It's, uh, well it's like a best friend but more."

Y/N McKinnon was a soft soul. Remus knew this much, from the twinkle in her eyes to the shy smile on her lips. He knew that she was quieter than her sister, Marlene, but was never afraid to voice her beliefs. He knew that she liked to read classics, burrowing them from him. She always returned them as though they hadn't even been read feverishly. And he also knew that she was a lover of jasmine tea and of stars.

And she was also his best friend.

"Do they end up together?" she asked one morning as she sat beside him in The Great Hall.

Remus frowned. "Who?" he replied, putting down the still steaming cup of tea on which he was sipping. The sweet aroma of jasmine still lingered on his tongue. Her tastes were rubbing off on him.

Y/N huffed, rolling her eyes as she did so and thrusting a book in front of his eyes. Curved, intricate letters spelled Little women. "Jo and Laurie."

A crooked smile blossomed on his lips. "Do you really want me to answer that?"

"No," she said, as she turned to put some toast on her plate along with a few eggs.

Comfortable silence settled between them as Remus resumed enjoying his tea.

"I think they should," she eventually voiced, after biting down on a toast.

"What?"

"Jo and Laurie. I think they should end up together. They're best friends."

Remus' throat tightened and it seemed as though the world stopped moving. Best friends. He told himself that he shouldn't read too much into it, they were just discussing a piece of literature, but then Sirius' voice popped up in his head ("You're really thick, Moony. She fancies you!") and he was suddenly hyper aware of his thigh touching hers, and of his elbow touching hers and he slid away a few millimeters just to breathe. "Right," he croaked out.

Maybe Sirius was right after all.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅