Chapter 20

Wesley looked down at his watch. 10:28. He sighed.

She wasn't coming.

He turned back to face those who came. His parents and brothers, Coop and Hank.

"She'll be here." Coop offered quietly from where he stood beside him. "I know she will."

"Thanks. I hope you're right." Wesley tried for a smile, but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

They stood there for a minute, just waiting for the other to say something. Wesley glanced around at the other families, who were also saying their goodbyes at the local bus stop.

A few mothers were crying as they hugged their sons. He couldn't even think of what he was going to say to his own mom, who so far seemed to busy herself with keeping track of Beau as he ran around with another little boy he had met while here.

"It's just thirteen weeks." Coop suddenly said, pulling Wesley from his thoughts.

He sighed.

"Yeah." Wesley agreed. "Just thirteen. Then I'll have a ten day leave before Infantry School."

Coop nodded. "Right." Then, as an afterthought, he added, "Unless you flunk out."

Wesley looked over to see Coop grinning roguishly at him.

"You really think I'll flunk?" He asked, grinning as well.

Coop paused for a beat before shaking his head. "Nah. We don't call you Superman for nothin'. You got this."

Just then, Coop noticed James standing a few feet behind Wesley and he playfully punched his shoulder. "I'll see you at graduation."

Wesley nodded. "See ya, Coop."

However, before Coop could walk too far away, Wesley called after him. "Hey, Coop!"

Coop turned back towards his best friend and Wesley nodded his head towards where Tommy stood sulkily against the car. Beau was standing beside him now, talking animatedly, oblivious to his brother's mood. Coop followed Wesley's gaze over to the pair before smiling.

"Don't worry." He assured him. "I'll take care of 'em."

"Thanks."

Coop walked off towards the younger boys as James came to stand in front of Wesley.

For a long moment, James stood there, taking in the sight of his oldest son. No longer was Wesley a little boy with endless amounts of energy, full of questions and wonder. Gone was the boy who had worn a Superman Halloween costume for two weeks straight when he was five, insisting that he wasn't pretending. That he really was Superman and could actually fly.

Wesley had believed in himself so much that, in the end, he had jumped off of his dresser and of course fell straight down, resulting in a half inch long cut just across his right eyebrow. If he were to look closely enough, James was sure he would still see a faint scar.

No. In front of him now stood a young man, just barely on the brink of adulthood. Making the first of many huge decisions that would come in his life.

Wesley sighed, pulling James from his thoughts.

"I'm sorry you don't think I can do this." He said in a quiet, polite voice as he looked at something behind James's left shoulder.

James narrowed steely blue eyes at his son. "Is that what I think?" His own voice was rough and low as he crossed his arms.

"Are you gonna tell me it's not?"

James seemed to think over the question and Wesley barely stopped himself from rolling his eyes, assuming that he was right after all. After what seemed like hours, but was only just a moment, James spoke again.