Thirteen (One Big Mess)

A/N- I had to update this chapter today too because it's just so terrible and I cringed while writing it. Therefore, please enjoy :P

-CHxx

Greg

The student body was practically buzzing with gossip as I walked with Anderson to get breakfast. Mr. Holmes' name was mentioned more than once, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dying to know what was being said about him.

We got our food and then sat with our group of friends. "What's everyone on about?" Anderson asked them before I could.

"Apparently," Mike began, leaning in conspiringly, "Mr. Holmes has brought his boyfriend in for a look around the school."

"H-his boyfriend?" I covered my stammer up with a cough.

"Yeah, he's bloody gorgeous too!"

Everyone turned to look at Molly who'd just spoken up. She blushed and murmured something incoherent. We all looked at her for a moment before the room fell silent and the doors opened.

Just what I needed. Mr. Holmes and his boyfriend walked into the room. Molly was right, the guy was gorgeous. He was tall and slim with infuriatingly neat curls. His skin was like... marble or something. His lips were like Cupid's bow, pulled into a grimace as he looked around. Actually he didn't look like he could be any older than us.

He followed Mr. Holmes' gaze over towards my table, and I could've sworn he smirked at me. Mr. Holmes murmured something in his ear before the two of them turned and left the room again, Mr. Holmes' arm on his shoulder, directing him out.

"Wow," Molly breathed. "He actually looked in our direction!"

Sally turned to her, looking incredulous. "Really, Molly?! He looked a right freak to me."

Mike started laughing uncontrollably, and we turned to him. "What?" I asked him with a frown.

"Mr. Holmes' boyfriend... Nevermind, I'll tell you later," he said in between fits of laughter.

I raised an eyebrow at him before looking back in the direction of the door. 'His boyfriend smirked at me. Why? Does he know I like Mr. Holmes?! He looks clever, probably he does!' My thoughts were frantic.

I shook my head and looked away. There was no point in caring. Holmes had a boyfriend. That was it. I mean, yeah, I had thought he was straight to some extent - despite some incidents, but he was taken. There was no chance for me. It was better to give up before I got my heart broken and humiliated myself.

Some part of me said it wasn't that easy. You can't just decide to stop liking someone and then it will happen. I decided I would be the exception. Mr. Holmes and his lame, gorgeous boyfriend were going to be forgotten from my mind.

It would've been a lot easier if everyone would shut up about the two. It sounded like the rest of the girls were as heartbroken as I was - although some decide Mr. Holmes and his boyfriend looked 'totally adorable.' I scoffed at the thought. 'He can't treat you as good as I could.'

I sat in my English class lost in my thoughts, the idea of forgetting about Mr. Holmes and his boyfriend blown out the window. We were supposed to be looking at poems about heartbreak. How ironic. I thought back to the night when Jenny and I broke up and how Mr. Holmes had held me, asking if I was going to be alright. And all while he had a boyfriend.

My mind continued to betray me, tormenting me. Never had I felt so strongly inclined towards a person, so conflicted. It was irrational and stupid.

After school I went to his office for my punishment. Anthea told me to enter and so I practically barged in. My heart plunged at the sight in front of me. Mr. Holmes' boyfriend was leaning on the desk looking over at Mr. Holmes. I couldn't see the boyfriend's expression as I went in but Mr. Holmes had had an undeniable smirk on his face.

They both froze as I entered, and curly haired man turned to look at me, a scowl on his face. He was even better looking up close. His eyes were penetrating, cold colours that reflected those of a stormy ocean. They reminded me of Mr. Holmes', holding that same intensity.
He was so tall, looming over me, and yet he looked younger than me.

Coming back to myself I shook my head. "I'm sorry, have I interrupted something?"

The boyfriend opened his mouth to speak, but Mr. Holmes got there first. "I'm sorry, Mr. Lestrade. I forgot you were coming in for your punishment after school."

The boyfriend now spoke, and I was surprised by how deep and velvety his voice was. "'Punishment'? Oh, that does sound very much like you." He chuckled and looked at the assistant headmaster. The assistant headmaster looked at me. Needless to say, the entire ordeal was highly embarrassing and very much awkward.

"Erm, shall I just go?" I asked slowly, pointing towards the door.

"Not at all," Holmes' boyfriend replied while Mr. Holmes said: "Yes I think that would be a good idea."

Once again, we all looked at each other. Mr. Holmes looked sheepish, I undoubtedly looked the colour of a tomato, and his boyfriend sat on the edge of his partner's desk, seeming to find the entire incident to be very funny.

I stood there for a moment longer, not knowing what to do.

"I feel you've learned your lesson, Mr. Lestrade. Your punishment no longer stands in place. You're free to go."

I nodded. "Right. Okay. Nice to meet you," I nodded towards the boyfriend and he raised an eyebrow in acknowledgment.

Sparing myself any more embarrassment, I spun on my heels and walked back out. I went to my room and put on a singlet top and shorts. Next went on my running shoes. I needed to run. I needed to literally run from my problems, from my emotions that loomed over me, threatening to fall like a wobbling house of cards.

Anderson lay on his bed watching me. I almost didn't realise he was there. "I thought you were supposed to be with Holmes, or is he too busy with his boyfriend?"

I threw a pillow at the boy, prematurely cutting off his laughter. "Not anymore. I'm off for a run." I tried to mask my anger and sadness, acting as nonchalant as possible.

Without waiting for a response I ran outside and over to the field by the gym. I began running laps, increasing speed each time around.

I ran so fast that I felt like I was flying, getting away from everything. There were times I thought I would trip, but I managed to stabilise myself each time.

I was freeing myself. Stepping away from everything until I wasn't thinking about anything at all.

I must've ran for at least half an hour straight at that intensity. Of course I eventually grew tired and slowed to a stop. My shirt was covered in sweat and my breath came out jaggedly.

It seemed like as soon as I stopped, Mr. Holmes came out, his boyfriend trailing behind him. They both dressed so well; clad in expensive coats and shirts and dress trousers which must've cost more than my own life savings. They both looked at me at the same time, Mr. Holmes looking wide eyed while his partner just smirked as he had that morning.

They continued on, and I felt that pain once more.

I decided to run some more laps.