⠀⠀⠀第3章

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

CHAPTER THREE
Chiyo and Sukuna
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ( KISMET ! )

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀ Ryomen Sukuna is an anomaly. Therefore, to hear his name mentioned within the gossiping circles of the estate is not anything new. They say he comes from the village hidden deep in the mountains — the very same that burned to the ground for the sins of his people. He is the only one fortunate enough to survive, and one can only question how that is so. They say he only lived to pay for their sins, and therefore misfortune and havoc is his birthright. A great evil engulfs Ryōmen Sukuna — so much so that whoever dares to come close is bound to meet the same fate as him & his predecessors. It is a mere folklore, those with kind hearts would say. Yet one can only be wary of what this young curse will eventually bring to the household that raised him.

The commotion by the courtyard ends with misfortune. The samurai who laid his hands on Ryōmen Sukuna was immediately dismissed from his duties the moment Lord Sasaki arrived home. Therefore, with gritted teeth and clenched fists, Shingen accepts his inevitable faith for he should have known better than to publicly harm Lady Sasaki's favorite. Whispers erupted as soon as the verdict passed, and with displeasure in their eyes — the crowd watches as Sasaki Chiyo took it upon herself to arrange all of the remedies needed, and even go as far as patching the boy up herself. He does not deserve her kindness.

As for the young lady herself, those judging eyes were a mere afterthought. All she wanted was to ease the boy's pain. With that, Itadori Yūji continues to watch the rest of their history unfold. The two children sat by the wooden porch of the main house overlooking the lushes mountains as cherry blossoms bloom and the warm breeze of spring soothe whatever is left of their worries. The young girl they call Chiyo personally arranged the medicine and bandages needed, placing them onto the wooden floor as Sukuna sat their silently, occasionally wincing at the inevitable sting of the medicine.

"Ah, shit." Sukuna groans as he apply the ointment onto his cleaned wounds.

"You know you can just let me help you." The young girl with bright curious eyes whines, pouting at the silence Sukuna kept offering her.

"You look like a ghost, 'Kuna." Chiyo went on, referring to the numerous amounts of bandages covering the boy's whole body. Sukuna continues to ignore her as he patches himself up, though as she examine him closer — Chiyo's heart ache at the number of wounds he received, his pale skin, and the pained expression across his face as beads of sweat left trails down his temple. The realization of her friend's injuries made tears form by the brim of her eyes therefore, she asks in worry, "You are not going to die, are you, 'Kuna? I am not ready for you to leave. Who shall kill the scary monsters in my bedroom? Who shall escort me to town and carry my things? You are my only frie—"

"Are you crazy?!" Sukuna snapped, visibly annoyed by her rambling and wild imaginations or so, that is how the young lady sees it. "I am still sitting here, aren't I? This is nothing, so quit whining already!"

However, the rise of his voice only made things worse as the young lady finally bursts into tears as she is ready to argue. "Can I not be worried for you? You were so stupid, you didn't even fight back! How lame is that?!"

"If I fought back, Shingen would have stabbed me without hesitation! I'm not dying over a stupid hairpin!" Sukuna argued back, not minding his tone towards the young lady that he serves nor her tears of concern, "And why are you the one crying?!"

Sasaki Chiyo's lips wobble as she attempts to suppress her whining. "It makes me sad to see you like this. Why can't you understand that?" She sobs, quietly this time as she stares directly at the boy she adores.

"I should not have given you that hairpin.
I'm so sorry, 'Kuna."

If only he were heartless would Sukuna turn away and ignore her apology, yet he wasn't. He was still young during that warm spring day, therefore his heart easily gives in to the sight of her reddened nose, puffy cheeks and watery eyes. Sukuna briefly shuts his eyes as he exhaled deeply. How can he be angry if Sasaki Chiyo stares at him like so?

"Come here, Chi." Quietly he spoke, gaze averting from her as red hues dust pale skin. The young curse extends an arm, asking of her to come near, to allow a mere low born to at least comfort the melancholy he caused.

And with the blossoming cherry petals as their witness, Sasaki Chiyo, a noble of high prestige closed their divide and embraced a boy with nothing to his name. Ryōmen Sukuna can imagine the words they would throw at her, yet none of it seem to matter as the crying heiress buries her face by his neck.

"You have nothing to apologize for, idiot." He spoke in harsh comfort, brushing her hair and ignoring the pressure to his newly attained wounds. In this moment, a dear friend is all that matters.

The two children sat still for quite some time as Chiyo emptied the pain in her heart, and Sukuna attempts to free her from guilt. As time passes, the young heiress' eyes were dried, though the remains of her outburst were still visible. It was past noon, and they settled into their own world as Chiyo rests her head on the boy's lap, eyes counting petals as they talk endlessly.

For our dear observer, it was uncanny. Itadori Yūji found it quite strange, almost as if it were a different person. This is not the Ryōmen Sukuna he knew — this is a mere child who was ostracized for his origin of birth. The boy never knew that the curse he carries with him is capable of looking at another as he does to the girl before him.

However, Yūji notices a figure within the house — watching with disdain in their eyes as she hides by the door. It was the very same woman Yūji approached earlier. Her hair was kept short, only reaching her shoulders, a rather tan complexion compared to others and she moves with grace more than anything.

It did not take long for the woman to move away from the shadows, and therefore she stood towering over the two children and the small bubble they created. Unfortunately bursting it with a simple call to the young heiress' name, "Lady Chiyo, if I may interrupt, but your dear Mother just arrived and asked of you." She spoke strictly and formally as she bowed her head.

Sasaki Chiyo was quick to get up back on her feet despite not wanting for their afternoon to end. In front of this servant, she stood and gave thanks for the reminder of her mother's arrival.

Kiku. Yūji remembers. The servant's name was Kiku.

"Lady Mamushi is currently at her quarters." Kiku informed, "I suggest you change your clothes first. You do not want to greet your mother in sullied clothes." She spoke, and her eyes met Sukuna's glaring ones. The two of them chose to hold their tongue for now, however.

"Alright." Chiyo spoke before turning to Sukuna one last time. "Shall I see you after dinner, 'Kuna?" She asked with a wide smile. The boy was taken aback for a second, however, an end of his lips curved into a small smile before nodding his head and bidding farewell.

Kiku and Ryōmen Sukuna watches as the young lady they both adore walk back inside the main house. Kiku did not move, only waited for Sasaki Chiyo to be out of earshot before finally speaking to the boy.

"I understand that the young master is fond of you, and that is why she acts as so. However, you should know better. Am I correct, Ryōmen Sukuna? She is still your master and to display intimacy with her so carelessly is quite disrespectful!" Kiku scolded, eyes looking down onto the injured boy, which also travelled to the empty containers of medicine. Sukuna knew she would not let that slide, and braces himself for whatever harsh words comes out of her mouth next.

"Lady Chiyo wasted such expensive medicine on you. Is that not enough?" Kiku almost came across as if she was pleading, yet Sukuna only remained silent as she went on. "As you told Shingen earlier, KNOW YOUR PLACE."

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂