⠀⠀⠀第11章

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
CHAPTER ELEVEN
Atonement
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ( KISMET ! )

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀When the last of the fireflies fell asleep, carefully did the scenery of the highlands transitioned from vivid greens to golden brown as the small warmth of the winds moved south. The Summer solstice has passed, and along with it are the chaste memories of youth. Autumn now proudly strides for her reign.

For Sasaki Chiyo, autumn greeted her with the hymn of the leaves, the song of the forest enveloping Takayama as wild-life peaked curious gentle heads over the beautiful girl, and her companion — a boy they have known to fear for his fox-like demeanor hunts their kind for glory, and joy. Shigeru recovered during that autumn. Though, he was never the same or maybe these were his true colors after all.

"I hear Lord Ryūtaro visited last night over dinner." Shigeru did not seem too pleased over the thought of her Father drinking sake with his or even stepping foot into their estate. It is quite understandable — for when Shigeru demanded the culprit's execution, Ryūtaro blatantly refused.

"Correct," The girls answers, a voice seeming to be walking on eggshells as she watches the young lord before her. "He came to see me, how I was, and if I am committing to my duties in ensuring your recovery."

A 'thank you' would be nice, but Sasaki Chiyo would never expect those words to come from his mouth. It is her friend that inflicted his pain after all. They are to blame for Shigeru's unfortunate accident.

"Your Father can spare the fake sympathy." Shigeru spat, a tone that is foreign to Chiyo's ears for there is no one who dares to speak of Lord Sasaki Ryūtaro as so. "If he truly wanted to make reparations with our clan then he should have come here to offer the culprit's head. He should have kneeled & bowed for my forgiveness."

'My Father does not even bow to the emperor. Who do you think you are?' Chiyo wanted to say it aloud, for the whole forest to hear her defend the blood on her veins. Yet, as it ever were, she politely nods her head. As obedient & patient as she always was despite the rage brewing within her heart.

She attempts to be understanding. Hiragi Shigeru is in pain, has known pain, has seen it even. Anybody would have been outraged over the humiliation. Therefore, Chiyo retorts, "I apologize if my service here has been lacking, Lord Hiragi. Our house does not mean to offend you. I will try to be better."

Because isn't that the role of a daughter? To connect families, and bring forth power through marriage. To offer children who would continue the lineage, to offer a son worthy of the clan's name. Chiyo attempts to seem heartfelt, and maybe it did come across as so, yet a disgusting sensation dwelled within her.

And finally, the boy turns. A handsome face stained with an eternal scar. Ruined beauty. A symbol of defeat — from a lowborn nonetheless. However, Shigeru smiles. A conniving one sending shivers down the girl's spine. "You should not be here, you know?" He warns, the light of the forest seeming to drown in gloom as Hiragi Shigeru took a step towards Chiyo.

"The moment you defended that mutt, I already knew you were as peculiar as your Father and his meaningless rebellion." Sasaki Chiyo caught a glimpse of it. How his eyes beamed of anger and the slip of sanity. The young lady can feel her heart warning her — how it's screaming to get away from this man, how it violently thrashes to get her attention. This is Takayama after all. This time, there will no retainer to defend her. Frankly, Chiyo doubts that he would after everything that transpired.