¹³Fluctuate

verb: rise and fall irregularly in number or amount

***

THE FIRST TIME Adira was physically hurt my her parents was when she was seven.

She had been eating her cereal one morning and accidentally spilled her milk on her brother.

James got upset and started crying since he was covered in milk, Adira tried to get him to calm down and clean him up but it wasn't working and that was when her father walked in.

She had expected to get shouted at, maube sent up to her room without dinner at most, not this.

"WHAT IN MERLINS NAME IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

i'm sorry daddy i didn't mean too

"YOU ALWAYS RUIN EVERYTHING! WHY CANT YOU DO ANYTHING RIGHT? YOU ARE USELESS!"

it was an accident i didn't do it on purpose i didn't mean too i'm sorry

"STOP TALKING BACK TO ME GIRL"

slap

"SAY SORRY TO YOUR BROTHER"

but it was an accident

Her father went silent due to the fact she refused his command. That was when he proceeded to grab the young girl by her hair and drag her up the stairs. throwing her into her room making her collide with the floor.

She cut her knee on the metal chair in her room, it bled, she still has the small scar.

"YOU STAY IN THERE UNTIL YOU LEARN TO BEHAVE."

James stayed silent throughout it. He didn't know whether he should attempt to intervene or not, so he said nothing.

***

"So do you guys think i should get a red dress or a blue dress for the party next week? Red makes me look gorgeous obviously but blue really brings out my eyes."

"Blue, definitely." Narcissa responded, shovelling some eggs in her mouth.

"Hmm." Peggy said, "Adira what do you think?"

Adira clearly had not been listening, "Yes, i totally agree."

"...You agree with what?"

"...With whatever Narcissa said." She replied before looking back down at her empty plate.

"You've been quiet lately, is everything okay?" Narcissa asked.

"I'm fine." Adira replied with the biggest smile she could muster up.

Narcissa could tell she was lying but didn't push it.

They continued eating in silence until a first year approached them.

"Are you Adira Potter?" they asked in a squeaky voice.

Adira looked up at them with furrowed eyebrows, "No."

Peggy laughed, Narcissa shook her head.

"Oh... The teacher said you was?" They continued.

"Really?" Adira asked, feigning confusion, "How strange."