Chapter 9: Time

Warnings: okay so some angst! Brief mentions of eating disorders. I think that's it but if not let me know pls

Word Count: 12.0K (fun fact: if you've read the whole story so far, you've read 124 pages!)

A/N: Okay y'all buckle up we're covering a LOT of ground in this chapter. I'm talking MONTHS of stuff happening, okay? Strap in.

"No way! He posted himself doing Pedri's celebration?"

"How am I always getting caught in the crossfire?? I wasn't even on the field!"

This caused fits of giggles to erupt from both Pablo and yourself, as you both huddled over his illuminated phone screen, reflecting on the posts from the Manchester United team. While most of them had been normal action shots with stereotypical captions, regurgitating some version of "It all comes down to the next round!", one in particular had stood out. Alejandro Garnacho, the youngest little gremlin in red, had posted a picture doing Pedri's goggle celebration. The caption read: "The best players will be on the field for round 2."

Now admittedly, this was a rather low blow. Eyebrow-slit boy was making it seem as though Pedri had been benched for the next game, when rather it was a sprain that would keep him out of the following round to make sure he was fully healed for the Supercopa. Pablo had now opened up the comment section, point out all the funniest ones to you, hoping to catch a glimpse of your infectious smile in the dark setting of the bus. You tried to stifle your childish little chitters, knowing that the rest of the team was exhausted from the physical and mental toll of an away game, amplified tenfold by the pressure of the Champion's League. But you couldn't help it. You were shoulder to shoulder with Pablo, laughing at strangers on the internet like high school sweethearts, and the logical part of your brain was helpless to overpower the desire of your heart to live in this moment forever.

"Look at this one: "man has to win this trophy to fund his next teen pregnancy."

"Pablo! That's not funny to talk about his kids!" You said, entirely unconvincing as you punctuated the reprimand with giggles. "Besides, you're just jealous that he's already continuing his family legacy at the ripe age of 18."

"Jealous?? Me?? I don't think you understand, Doctora. You know a couple major fears of mine: snakes, spiders, dragons, so on. But-"

"Did you just say fucking dragons?" Both of your heads snapped towards the seats across the aisle, where the Canarian laid with an elevated leg.

"Cállate Pepi - not one word until you finish Game of Thrones. As I was saying; of all my major fears, becoming a teenage father tops that list by a long shot." He said, shuddering at the mere thought. He could not imagine having to care for another life form right now. He was still a child himself.

"What if you found a girl that you really liked? Think you'd want to have kids any faster?"

You actively worked to maintain eye contact while you waited for the answer to your question. Gavi leaned back against his seat, looking forward as the silver moonlight poured through the large windows. The reflections bounced off of Pablo's features, making him glow like the radiance of his soul was escaping his mortal form. The side profile of his face was shadowed slightly, and you wished your hands were capable of capturing this moment in a painting. But had the colors even been invented to do Pablo justice? Or would they pale in comparison to the beauty they tried to replicate?

"I think when I find a girl I really like, I'll just want to spend every possible minute with her. Talking, laughing, breathing - just being in her orbit. And her in mine obviously. My dream girl has to be just as in love as I am, if not more. And I think it would be easier to love each other in that cheesy, all-consuming, kind of gross way if there's no Pablo the Third running around. Or would it be Pablo the Fourth? I can't remember."