𝟬𝟬𝟰. rescue mission

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
۪ ACT ONE, CHAPTER FOUR ۪

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┊➶ ❁۪ 。 ✧ACT ONE, CHAPTER FOUR➶ ❁۪ 。 ✧┊

word count: 2.1k

"ɪғ ɪ ᴡᴀs ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀɴ, ᴛʜᴇɴ ɪ'ᴅ ʙᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀɴ"
- taylor swift

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐌𝐄𝐍, 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐒. What are the odds, huh?" Shane's voice was laced with a mix of anticipation and tension as he held out his hand, revealing the four bullets, each representing a glimmer of hope for their risky mission to rescue Merle. "Let's just hope that four is your lucky number, okay?"

Amidst the preparations, Marley couldn't help but interject, her voice filled with a mixture of defiance and longing to be recognized. "I'm right here, Shane!" she exclaimed from her perch on the edge of the van. She had insisted on joining the mission, believing that her speed and knowledge of the route made her a valuable asset.

Shane's retort was sharp, his frustration evident. "You a dude now, huh?" he snapped back, his hand resting on his waist.

Marley's gaze dropped, her feet swinging idly over the truck's edge. She muttered softly, still yearning for acknowledgment, "Still wanna be acknowledged for risking my life."

Glenn, sitting beside her, leaned in with a warm smile, trying to diffuse the tension. "Hey, I appreciate you," he said in a light-hearted tone, genuinely grateful for Marley's bravery.

"I don't want your appreciation!" Marley fired back, her voice wavering with conflicting emotions. Her point seemed to slip away from her, lost in the sea of uncertainty. A slight smile played on her lips as she added, "You'll be dead before me anyway, Glenn," a mix of bravado and playful banter dancing in her eyes.

Glenn chuckled, though his amusement was tinged with a hint of sadness. "Let's hope it doesn't come to that," he replied, his voice carrying an unspoken bond.

"Have you seen Ellie in the past hour?" Marley's voice carried a hint of worry as her eyes narrowed, searching for any sign of her friend amidst the camp's bustling activity.

Glenn's concern mirrored her own as he shook his head in response. "No, I haven't. Why? What's going on?" His brows furrowed, his mind racing with thoughts of what could have upset Ellie.

Marley hesitated for a moment, her gaze drifting away as she recalled the earlier scene. "I saw her crying earlier," she confessed, her voice tinged with a mix of curiosity and concern. "I didn't get a chance to ask her why, though."