Chapter Seven ~ Frankie

Hunter's face dropped. Why? He looked like I shot his dog.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

He nodded jerkily. "Yeah."

"Okay." I wasn't sure I believed him but went on. "Bradley is old fashioned and wants to get married and have kids. But... I don't want that. To compromise, we get married with no kids."

He cocked his head with a small frown. "You don't want kids?"

"I can't."

"You can't have kids? How do you know? You're 17."

"I don't want to talk about it." And I didn't. Not with him or at all.

He reached across the space and took my hands. "I'm sorry."

For some reason, I believed him. Even knowing he didn't know why he was sorry, I believed him.

Our waitress returned with our milkshakes and with a smile, disappeared again.

I began humming. Just a Qveen Herby track. I loved her music when she was in Karmin and I'm going to be loyal when she's solo.

He held onto the tips of my short fingers. "Who's that?"

"Qveen Herby."

"I've never heard of them."

"Her. She's solo now."

"Oh. What does she sing?"

"She sings and raps."

"Would I have heard anything?"

"I don't know what you listen to, baby."

His blue eyes seemed to grow frosty. "I like anything."

I smiled because I loved music and introducing people to new types of music. I may be stuck in the past but there was current music I was into. QH was one such individual. I took my hands back to grab my phone from my purse.

He began sipping his shake.

I went through my library to find the song I'd been humming. I played it lowly so as not to interrupt other diners.

His eyes widened but his head bobbed along to the beat.

I knew I shocked him because the song was called F Myself.

When the song ended, he swallowed thickly. "I didn't think you'd like that kind of song."

"I like nearly everything."

"Nearly?"

"I still like lyricism and meanings to my music but I still dig bops."

"What's your favorite song?"

"Ever?"

"Ever."

"It's not vocal." I blushed.

"What is it?"

"Appalachian Spring."

"Who's that by?"

"Aaron Copland. He's a genius composer." I accidentally gushed. I immediately pulled back.

"Oh? Classical music?"

I grabbed my tall glass and began sipping out of the straw. I made a noise of affirmation.

"Do you play any instruments?"

I blushed, hating that. "Yeah."

"Really? What can you play?"

"The piano, cello and saxophone."

His eyes grew. "Really?"

"Yeah."